cooking rock question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

leftyfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I started cooking about 20 lbs of live rock to clean out the algae, aiptasia, etc, in a bucket. I hurt my back and completely forgot about it the last two days in the garage (in bucket with powerhead) and it has been in mid to upper 90s (unusual for us). Did I just kill all my little worms, pods, etc on the rock?

If so, do I just keep cooking it like normal (was going to do a big water change shake out deal algae, and put in new water). Do I need to do this for longer than two months if everything really got "cooked" in the heat?

Thanks

by cooked do you mean boiled on a stove? if so they are all dead anyway. if you just sat them in a bucket with a powerhead I doubt everything died, even at 90 degrees some stuff should of made it

classklown90 said:
by cooked do you mean boiled on a stove? if so they are all dead anyway. if you just sat them in a bucket with a powerhead I doubt everything died, even at 90 degrees some stuff should of made it

Right cooked in bucket, not in a stove. Probably over 100 in bucket due to heat outside.

I agree that most of the life is dead, but somthing probably survived. I would just continue as usual. The worst case scenario you will just have to regrow it.

PsiPro said:
I agree that most of the life is dead, but somthing probably survived. I would just continue as usual. The worst case scenario you will just have to regrow it.

I'm afraid to look in the bucket once I get my back fixed tomorrow :(

So just proceed to cook it replacing water and shaking out rock over two months?

test the water for amo you'll know if theres die off by the spike Yes just change the water and maby wrap an old blanket around the pail

I'm afraid to look in the bucket once I get my back fixed tomorrow :(

So just proceed to cook it replacing water and shaking out rock over two months?

Yep, again this advice is based mostly on the fact that the damage is done. Like the previous post said an ammonia test will give some insight to the amount of die-off. If the levels are high you will want to do some WC to lower then. If the levels are off the chart I would say everything is dead and just hurry the rocks along.

Back
Top Bottom