Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-18-2004, 01:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Cool hermit behaviour after molt

Yesterday I noticed two instances where a large blue leg hermit appeared to be attacking another smaller hermit but instead I now think that they were protecting the newly molted hermits.

In the morning I noticed a large hermit holding onto another's shell while hiding under a rock. It just looked like it was going to climb into an empty shell but later that day it was still there. Then I noticed what I thought was a dead hermit right near them but it turned out to be a molt cause after I pulled the large hermit off, both hermits crawled right back to the same spot. This happened three times where I pulled them apart thinking the large one was eating the small one but then both kept going back to the same spot and assuming the position.

Then another hermit cam by to check things out and the larger one kicked it away..it was pretty funny to watch. During this time I noticed the exact same thing in another part of the tank with another pair.

Then later that night everyone dispursed and is alive and well.

I really think that the larger hermits were just protecting the newly molted ones. If that is the case then that's pretty cool. Anyone else see anything like that? Maybe they were mating but the molting makes me think protecting...maybe I'm just spending too much time in front of the tank since I'm on parental leave

canadian_eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 01:55 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I wouldn't expect that type of behavior from hermits as its "everyone for themselves", but hey, you never know.

46g SW, 65 lbs Fiji LR, 4" Aragamax DSB, Coralife 2X96w CF, CPR Bakpak II, CPR Aquafuge 12 w/ 2x9 Coralife Mini Aqualight, 4 Maxijet 600's, PCI 200W Titanium Heater, 2 Blue Green Chromis, 1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown, 1 Purple-Stripe Dottyback, Finger Leather, Trumpets, Rose Coral Open-Brain, Pagoda Cup, Xenia, Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Various Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, 12 Astraea, 10 Nassarius, 4 Bumble Bee, 6 Cerith Snails, 12 Red Tip Hermits.
phases99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 07:56 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
what kind of hermits my 3 zebra fight all the time but just with eachother not with the blue or red legged ones sometime it appears to over shells or food but not always
i have crabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 09:35 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular
They are blue leg.... maybe the bigger ones were just waiting for the newly molted ones to show their faces and get a quick bite...I still like the thought of my hermits helping each other out
canadian_eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 09:47 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Blue leg are cool. I have one that has grown to almost 2" in the last year. Had to buy a few of the tree crab shells from my pocal pet store for him.
Love watching them.
One molted the other day and one of my Urchins chowed down on the molt. My daughter thought it was eating him.
quarryshark is offline   Reply With Quote

behaviour, hermit, molt

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com