Cool hermit behaviour after molt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

canadian_eh

Aquarium Advice Regular
Yesterday I noticed two instances where a large blue leg hermit appeared to be attacking another smaller hermit but instead I now think that they were protecting the newly molted hermits.

In the morning I noticed a large hermit holding onto another's shell while hiding under a rock. It just looked like it was going to climb into an empty shell but later that day it was still there. Then I noticed what I thought was a dead hermit right near them but it turned out to be a molt cause after I pulled the large hermit off, both hermits crawled right back to the same spot. This happened three times where I pulled them apart thinking the large one was eating the small one but then both kept going back to the same spot and assuming the position.

Then another hermit cam by to check things out and the larger one kicked it away..it was pretty funny to watch. During this time I noticed the exact same thing in another part of the tank with another pair.

Then later that night everyone dispursed and is alive and well.

I really think that the larger hermits were just protecting the newly molted ones. If that is the case then that's pretty cool. Anyone else see anything like that? Maybe they were mating but the molting makes me think protecting...maybe I'm just spending too much time in front of the tank since I'm on parental leave :)

-Ron

I wouldn't expect that type of behavior from hermits as its "everyone for themselves", but hey, you never know.

what kind of hermits my 3 zebra fight all the time but just with eachother not with the blue or red legged ones sometime it appears to over shells or food but not always

They are blue leg.... maybe the bigger ones were just waiting for the newly molted ones to show their faces and get a quick bite...I still like the thought of my hermits helping each other out :)

Blue leg are cool. I have one that has grown to almost 2" in the last year. Had to buy a few of the tree crab shells from my pocal pet store for him.
Love watching them.
One molted the other day and one of my Urchins chowed down on the molt. My daughter thought it was eating him. :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom