Cool hitchhiker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

knight4hire

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just found a cool hitchhiker in my live rock that I bought about 2 months ago. I am curious, will this feather duster eventually grow out of the cave in the rock so that its visible, or will it remain inside?

It should eventually grow a longer tube, it really depends on the species. Some dusters are smaller growing than others.

Can you see the base of the tube? If so how long? Even the smaller duster tubes get a few inches.

Cheers
Steve

Thank you for your response. I unfortunately can not see how long its tube is, its so far inside the rock. Is it possible to remove it to put in a visible location? I also have two anemones that refuse to stay put. They always move from were I put them and its always a less visible location grrrr. Any suggestions?

Thanks again
Casey

I would not suggest removing the duster from it's current location. Most times you can do alot of damage. Just give it some time and it should become more visilble eventually.

As far as the anemone's, what species and what lighting do you have?

Cheers
Steve

Thank you steve. I will just let it be.

I have one sebae anemone and one long tentacle with 2 10,000k helios T5, 2 blue T5 and one actinic.

Thanks again
Casey

I am not too up on my T5HO stats but from what I have learned, I do not think 3 bulbs will give you enough penetration on a 56 gal cube tank. At 24" deap (?), you would actually do better with up to 6 bulbs.

Anemones will move for a variety of reasons but the two greatest are light and water flow. If they are not optimum, the anemone will wander trying to find the right conditions. Water flow should generally be about medium and for the two you have lighting should be on the higher side.

I would love to see the tank with the lights, so a pic would be great :wink: . If not, how high is the rock? I would suggest building it up so the anemones can get closer to the light. Just be sure it is not in the dierct path of a water jet.

Cheers
Steve

I have two 10,000 k daylight and Two blue and one actinic for a total of 5 lights I also have a regular florescent for six that I turn on occasionaly. They are all set on timers to simulate day to night. I will take a pic of the tank so that you can get a idea of what it looks like, but please go easy on me I'm new at this and the tank needs a little house cleaning right now. Although constructive criticism is always good, so any suggestions or ideas to help me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again
Casey

knight4hire said:
Although constructive criticism is always good, so any suggestions or ideas to help me would be greatly appreciated.
Hopefully that is all you will ever find here. To date, that is all I have seen... :p

Looking forward to the pics...

Cheers
Steve

Hi all! I'm a fw girl, but reading about sw and finding out about these "hitchhikers" has got to be the coolest feature I have seen in a tank. In fw we might get common snails with plants, but that's about it. I understand some of the species found are totally unwanted, but still it's so cool that what you find in your tank is not just what you put in it. So full of surprises in it's own mini ecosystem. I love it! :]

the only 'cool' hitchhiker I had was a tiny lobster. We're talking 3/4 " long. I noticed it when it was dead, floating around the day after I put the rock in. :roll:

i've gotten some pretty weird snails out of my live rock, but it can be a great part of it. my roommate got a mantis with his, but it died off in the curing process. would have made a great addition to my 2.5 :D

Hello fw girl! lol jk, hi holly yes hitchhickers are cool I have a couple of them from the lr that I have purchased. I started with fw a long time ago, I had oscars they were cool. I just had to have a sw setup. It has been quite expensive but worth it also. You should take the jump its alot of fun.

Take care
Casey

Steve if your out there I have a photo of the tank now and will post it.

Back
Top Bottom