Cool new stuff to bring in?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rosseg

Aquarium Advice Activist
Finally got my pH and salinity where I want it (8.1 and 1.024) and I wanna get some stuff today. 3 week old tank, all ammonia nitrates and trites are 0. I'm thinking of adding a couple more Nass snails, and a harlequin serpent star, and maybe something else like a conch or small urchin? This is goin to be used for corals in the future, what cool inverts do you recommend for this 29 gal tank?

Hi rosseg, i just joined this forum and this is the first theead i read, i have a 10 month old reef, and by my rookie experience i would not recommend putting anything there yet, maybe a couple of chromis maybe to help you build up some beneficial bacteria and go slow on the livestock.

You are talking about a clean up crew that you in this point of your tank, don't need yet!

Why? Because there is no leftover food for your serpent sea star or nassarius to eat, no algae in your glass for the urchin to eat. So, you will be feeding the tank in order to keep your CUC alive.

Just my two cents here

There's a tonnnn of algae everywhere lol, and lots of poop from my hermits and other snails to eat up

Also I've been feeding the tank twice a week for my feather dusters and other mini hitchhikers

Oh ok, well i would recomend throwing a couple of chromis there! But still 3 weeks seems a short period oftime to be confident that your cycle has ended, if you have tons of algae ( im guessing brown algae or diatoms), maybe your cycle hasn't ended.

Is that what's going on?

Fish before the other "easy" inverts I want? Been testing everyday, haven't had any more spikes. Probably gonna go today to pick up some things. Realized I have MASSIVE amounts of Copepods on my tank, which is another sign I'm told that the tank is pretty healthy.

Tons of algae was present before I started feeding the tank which was last week, and it's only 3 pellets about twice a week. I also do a 5 gallon change every week

Back
Top Bottom