Cool thing about my clown fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

weemanpow3

Aquarium Advice Freak
when my Clown fish sleeps it lays on the powerhead. I keep my powehgead off at night. In the afternoon it nips at the algae and eats it. Now my 3 blue/ green cromis copy the clown and try to eat it.

Is this normal for the clown and cromis, my fish are very healthy to.

It's normal for captive raised clowns to sleep near or on PH's. It's also normal for fish to eat algae once in awhile too - An indication of hunger, IME

Don't turn off all ur PH's at night. Keep at least 1 on near the surface to keep the PH in acceptable range.

Not sure why you turn your powerhead off at night, but it is best to leave them on.

will my fish sleep, my power head is made for a 50 gallon tank and I keep it on high going to the surface on my 30 gallon

I would keep it on all night. I never turn off the flow in my tank, I only vary the direction from time to time.

And that is cool that the fish sleeps on the powerhead.

leave it on, the ocean dosnt stop for them, so dont stop it for them. !
:)

I agree with the rest. Leave your phs on. It will help keep the pH stable.

pH is kept stable by gas exchange or "surface ripple". In my case, I had a lid that didn't allow my pH to rise above 7.6-7.8. There was not enough gas exchange, at the surface of the water to get it above those numbers. I tried adding a buffer, but decided to try a more natural way. I upgraded my lights to the kind that have legs and that improved my pH and kept it stable, without using a buffer.

My 46gal probably has a bit of overkill in the water flow category. I am running an oversized wet/dry with a large return pump. I also run an AC 300 HOB which also provides plenty of water flow and surface agitation. In addition, I am running a 200 gal/hr PH and a 300 gal/hr PH around the clock. When you drop flakes or pellets into the tank you can clearly see that there is current moving in many directions.

I have lots of lr with many caves and crevices where fish & inverts can avoid water flow if they want to. So far I haven't noticed any problems related to the constant current in the tank.

Just my 2 cents

Back
Top Bottom