Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-13-2015, 07:39 PM   #11

Very true very true! That captive lineage is something worth top dollar. Check our some of the photos I posted this morning of our captive corals in the Photo section.

For me part of the fun, now that I've seen so much (and still crazy stuff I've never seen like that hammer spawn I posted a picture of), is finding the hidden gems at the wholesale and being able to spot colors that are going to be brought out under my system's conditions.

Not every aquarist has the ability to see acros before they arrive to the stores, where store owners will name them. It's also very true many stores don't even touch SPS let alone have acro frags growing. We grow our frags under 3 x 400watt MH and 3 x 250watt MH with DIY halo rings around them.

Most of the wild stuff are pieces were sitting on waiting to encrust and color up. If we were to sell them before this point they wouldn't be top dollar like the Jason Fox jack-lanterns leaptos (We have 36 frags of them. I don't know many stores with that type of inventory) We have the only mother colony of Tyree R66 Megachrome Montipora. Check out the article on Tyree's website. Suggested retail is $145.. It's the same exact thing as a mystic monti.. I've been staring at it since I got it from Route 66 Marine after they went out of business of July 3rd. It is supposedly the most sought after montipora cap right now by some people.

I'm telling you it's no different than mystic sunset montipora.. There's no major twists hahaha

It is a HUGE colony though.

Old 07-13-2015, 07:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
With acros this is true but is very far from the truth with things like zoas.
Zoanthids will completely change color pigments based off the 31 minor and trace elements in the tank. Even lighting will change Zoas and palys.

Old 07-14-2015, 01:55 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefer James View Post
Zoanthids will completely change color pigments based off the 31 minor and trace elements in the tank. Even lighting will change Zoas and palys.
Old 07-14-2015, 04:30 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Purple stylophora is a looker. I have a pretty nice green blue Mille in my tank that I'm in love with. The ones you listed you want are all very nice looking. Red planet is my favorite coral in my tank. But like said earlier buy what you like, not just for the crazy name tagged onto it

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sps

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com