Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-14-2003, 08:32 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Electrobes
coolness, I can;t wait to hear how it goes.. I am upgrading my lights soon (250 watt metal halide with two VHO's) on my 45G tall tank. I was planning on having two large fans in the back exhausting with the side of the hood having vents.

Old 03-29-2004, 09:11 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via ICQ to micaheli Send a message via AIM to micaheli Send a message via MSN to micaheli Send a message via Yahoo to micaheli
Picking at an old wound

Well, I figured I'd bounce this extremely old post up - because I need help.

I'm DIYing a hood right now and would like to know what types of fans and where to place them BEFORE placing my orders.

So, the consensus seems to be that sucking air out of a space is preferable and really the ONLY way to do it. However, some may say that its best to have intake on one side, and exit on the other?

Now, to me that doesn't make sense - because one of the bulbs will be significantly warmer than the other one near the intake. The one near the exhaust will be warmer because it is recieving pre-heated air by the other bulb.

My plan was to encapsulate the whole hood fully (not to be anti circulation, but to create organized circulation) to the tank. With a leaning top, and 2 front doors. The back will have 2 intake holes.. driven by negative pressure, not by fans. And will have 2 fans on the side. My side fans will BOTH be blowing out. This way, each bulb has an intake and an exhaust and isn't recycling any airflow.

I have 2x 250watt halides pretty much on the way for a 55gal (pretty much the same setup as cj10488 except my hood will be slightly different.

I'm also curious as to how many fans I should get. I'll probably get 120mm fans as 80's just don't appear to be enough cooling power. I am thinking I'll get 4 of them.. 2 for the sides (blowing out) and 2 for the rear (assisting the intake of cool air).

Does this sound right to you? let me know

--Micah

Old 03-30-2004, 12:29 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

One thing to remember, it is not the size of the fan, but the amount of air that it moves. There are many 80mm fans that far outperform the large 120mm fans. It is all about the amount of air that is moved, not the size of the blades. and yes, I am aware that this only applies to fans!
Old 03-30-2004, 02:23 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

good one..

I did enjoy that one!
Old 03-30-2004, 01:41 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via ICQ to micaheli Send a message via AIM to micaheli Send a message via MSN to micaheli Send a message via Yahoo to micaheli
See.. Thats what I thought.

I was going to go with 4 80mm fans.. Which HAD to move more air than 2 120mm's.. expecially high rpm, high CF/M fans.

--Micah
Old 03-31-2004, 03:05 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

So, I was doing a little more research on fans and such. I found some really nice temerature controlled 80mm fans that push 74cfm.. Most 120mm fans push 90-100cfm.

I'm thinking 2 80mm's on each side blowing out with a couple vents in the back allowing cool air in and keeping the internal pressure low. I think this should be about perfect.. but the only problem I for see is noise. They are 4800rpm fans.. those probably scream pretty good when they get going.... but I can put the sensor somewhere away from the bulb (120degrees F) is the max it needs to sense. And so it'll only go off during the summer and such for the full blown fan speed.. And at night, they'll switch off automatically when the hood temp goes down.

--Micah
Old 03-31-2004, 04:45 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to fishman
Where did you find these and how much were they??
Old 03-31-2004, 04:48 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

These are dual ball bearing fans.. thermal sensor and manual speed settings as well.

They are 7 bucks from:

http://store.yahoo.com/kmexpress/ca-a1357.html

I plan on purchasing 4 of these unless I think of something else before I do so.

--Micah
Old 04-01-2004, 03:41 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to fishman
link to product

I tried the link you posted and it does not work. can you repost the link or let me know the website you went to in order to order the fans for the tank? Thanks
Old 04-01-2004, 03:59 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Regular

You probably tried just clicking the link. For some reason phpbb parses the URL incorrectly... so, copy and past the url into your browser.

--Micah

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com