Cooling Fan Idea for MH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thumper

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just installed 3 250 watt MH's in my canopy and i had a huge concern about the heating issue. What i did was to install 1 coralife 4" fan at each outer corner on the ends of the canopy. At that point i went to Home Depot and purchased 3 screened vents like what you would see under the eves of a house and cut holes in the rear and installed them . I cut one hole towards each end and one right in the middle on the back. This in turn draws air from the rear of the canopy and pulls it past each bulb towards the front outer corners. I didnt have a single degree temp change from this set up . I hope this helps someone in the future and can post pics if anyone needs them.

speaking of lights I have a question, I have a 125 gl]al tank, I bought two 36 inch luner lights, 192 watts each, is that strong enough to do some soft corals like polyps or mushrroms
also I put them directly on my tank not using the plastic rises , me chiller seems to come on more but I figured it would be better to be closer then up and away

Polyps, shrooms, and some of the less demanding softies should do OK under that setup. You could probably have some LPS, but they would probably need to be in the upper half of the tank. JMHO.

I have the 10000k and I'm putting in 440 wats of vho next week. Somebody has probably allready done this method but I had to experiment on my own and luckily it worked like a champ. At the extreme most I had a 1 degree change after running all three light's for 10 hours.

Sounds like a great setup. Mine only fluctuates about 1-2 degrees at best. I installed 2 5" fans in my 15" canopy, so this has really helped a lot.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom