Copepod Cultivation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ztkirkpatric

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have ordered several different species of copepods... I have a 150g tank and plan on getting a mandarin in the next couple of months... I don't know how much live rock (in weight) that I currently have, however I do have quite a bit. The copepods are supposed to arrive today in the mail, I have a bottle of marine zooplankton I got a clearance a while back and I checked it today, I believe everything in it is dead. Will the copepods still eat it?

I am planning on planting some grass in the tank to allow more places for the copepods to hide once I introduce them into the tank... I will start them out in a refugium first... However I am curious if I supply enough places for the copepods to hide/breed if they will do so in the tank and eventually sustain a healthy population... The grass I am using is called "Mexican" something, apparently its extremely invasive... However a neighbor of mine has had it in their tank for almost two years now, with frequent trimming it stays under control and I think it looks great... Will that along with the live rock be adequate to sustain a population of copepods that will allow a mandarin to survive?

This seems to be a very touchy subject. I'm starting to think it depends on the individual. I have a mated pair of green mandarins in my 3 year old tank. They were on the brink of starvation in the lfs so I figured I would give it a shot to bring them back. Well now they are really fat and doin really well. I got them in may I think. There is still lots of pods that I see in my tank. I have a 120 gal with a 30 gal refugium . Lots of macro and rubble in the refugium. Some ppl might say they will die eventually but I do cultivate live brine every couple of weeks as well. That's all. Can tell you. A mated pair of mandarins are beautiful

I had a "pod" tank that I was using to raise them so I too would have enough for a mandarin. But it wasnt a very big success unfortunately.

I now have a ora blue mandarin in my 29g biocube eating frozen foods and a scooter dragonet as well on prepared.

Keeping one is just a matter of time and dedication. I just read the newest issue of coral magazine where they said a larger tank isnt always the best place for a mandarin due to competing for food and the sheer size of the tank which makes target feeding impossible.

just some more food for thought. :)

Good luck

I had a red manderin in my old 200g reef with 75g sump and he managed to eat all the pods in my tank within 2 months and after that he starved to death because attempting to target feed was almost impossible without someone else coming and stealing his food. I even did a HOB refugium on the sump to try and breed copes but to no success. Good luck to you though

Back
Top Bottom