Copepods

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chenzo9999

Aquarium Advice Freak
Where do these guys come from?

Do they need to be seeded?

Are there any live cultures that actually work?

I buy my pods from reefs2go and have good results. They will multiply in live rock, sand, and macro algae. If you want them to succeed, you will need a well stocked refugium.

Usually people don't have masses of macro algae in their tank. A refugium is a place for exactly that. Lots of rock rubble, algae and low flow.

The lack of presentation is of course supporting the growth rates

The refugium's only benefit is the lack of predation? Or is there something else the refugium provides?

The refugium does a lot. IMO the most important is filtration. The macro algae will help clean your tank naturally. Another benefit is its ability to help with ph swings. I have my refugium on a reverse lighting system which helps keep my ph up when it's night time. And then of course there is a lack of predation in the refugium b/c it is a 'refuge'.

All of the above are correct, but in terms of producing a large reproducing pod population it is due to lack of predators and more places for them to live and reproduce.

But you have to supply them for the first time?

I seeded my tank from one of my lfs' refugiums. Paid them $5 for a massive bag full of algae which of course had some in there. Reseeded again a few months later to be safe. Maybe ask your lfs if they would spare you some.

Everytime you buy a frag on a rock, some algae, life rock or anything else from an established tank you carry some home. Odds are you already have them.
Check your glass after your lights went of, there should be white specs on the glass...

1+ reefs2go their pods are huge! Great way to start your population, and their price is fairly good. you can get BOGO on them sometimes too! I also dose once a week with reef bugs. Its Basically a few types of pods (and I think plankton) in an egg form and they hatch within 24hr of contact with water. I do this because I have a mandarin and that $22 bag will most likely last at least a year and I know I'll never be lacking pods!

I agree with ausfish. You probably already have them breeding. I would go to a bunch of local reefers and get a handful of macro algae from each one of their tanks. You'll have a diverse population of everything in no time.

My tank just got then. Thousands of little white swimmers. They say the come out of your live sand.. I'm hoping that they stay. But bad thing is I need to clean my glass but don't want to kill them.. Lol

Back
Top Bottom