Copepods

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Benefits are numerous. In fact I can't think of any downsides. Main idea is that they are part of the base of your tanks ecosystem. Many fish in an aquarium will use them as food and some require a diet of nothing else (some species are hard to ween onto frozen food).

The best way to keep a good population is to have a refugium. Mine is in my sump however there are HOB refugiums as well. It's a place of "refuge" for them to hide and thrive. I put some varieties of algae and live rock in the refugium and this seems to keep them happy plus it's extra biological filtration

We'll I don't have a sump at the moment but I have about 30 pounds of live rock (am working on building a sump) If I put a hang on back filter would they be able to live in that for the mean time

Thankyou
And one last question can you have to many in a tank
I ask because I'm thinking of doing the buy1000 for 25 get a 1000 free deal under this post

I think you said a 29 gallon tank. I`m thinking that might be a lot in that size but if you have a lot of fish they should help you out.

I'm not a believer in the live rock protection idea. I've heard people say that it works and I'm sure to some extent it does. With that said there is no way that a population could survive on the same level in a display tank when compared to a safe haven outside of the display. Not wrong just different. You'll just have to populate them artificially as time goes on if you don't have a refuge for them

why not farm them yourself? set up a basic 10g tank with some macroalgae in it, and dump a bottle of pods in. once they start breeding, youll be able to pull from there to feed your maintank.

why not farm them yourself? set up a basic 10g tank with some macroalgae in it, and dump a bottle of pods in. once they start breeding, youll be able to pull from there to feed your maintank.
I like that idea. Sounds like a fun project. Only questions is if you put a refugium on that tank does the universe implode?

Refugeception 0__O

only if the thought of the world imploding was planted in your dreams, to manifest itself by your own doing.

Would I need to supplement the tank with anything or just a light and power head
And what should the salinity be at for them

That's a good idea. But how would you circulate the water in it with out chopping them up?? Very interesting. I'm thinking a small fish bowl I can stash under my stand.

That's a good idea. But how would you circulate the water in it with out chopping them up?? Very interesting. I'm thinking a small fish bowl I can stash under my stand.

Ha!! Air stone on an air pump. Great another thing to plug in. Lol

yeah youll need a either a nano powerhead or pump to circulate the water. also the big thing with pods are that they prefer dirty water. so youll prob want to leave the lights on for 2-3 days continuously to let algae overrun the tank. also I wouldn't do water changes but every so often.

Pods eat phytoplankton so before you start culturing pods its best to get a phyto culture started. When you fill your tank for pods you add a whole bunch of the phytoplankton culture in the water to turn it a dark green. After that add pods and aerrate with an air pump. There's no need for a powerhead, filter, or heater. I'm currently in the process of growing enough phyto to do this myself.

Pods eat phytoplankton so before you start culturing pods its best to get a phyto culture started. When you fill your tank for pods you add a whole bunch of the phytoplankton culture in the water to turn it a dark green. After that add pods and aerrate with an air pump. There's no need for a powerhead, filter, or heater. I'm currently in the process of growing enough phyto to do this myself.

Can one use some of the waste from a skimmer collection cup??

Back
Top Bottom