Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-03-2005, 05:00 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Copepods,How prolific are they...

Just like the title ask's, I have them all over the glass in my 75 gal and I was wondering how fast these little critters propagate, multiply or do what ever they do...

Old 11-03-2005, 08:06 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Fast. Tell us something about your tank. How old is the tank & how much rock? Substrate?What creatures are living in there? Maybe we can recommend a fish that you may love and handle your pod population. Pods are good - I guess until they're so abundant that they bother you seeing them so much.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 04:07 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsdad
Fast. Tell us something about your tank. How old is the tank & how much rock? Substrate?What creatures are living in there? Maybe we can recommend a fish that you may love and handle your pod population. Pods are good - I guess until they're so abundant that they bother you seeing them so much.
Well,This is my first go at saltwater, The tank has been up and running since September,It is a 75 gal with 90 lbs of live rock, 40 lbs of live sand, I have a 20 gal long tank setup as a trickle/sump/refuge w/algae's and about 10 lbs of livesand,this is about 10 gal (the fuge).
As for inhabitants,1 Clown fish, 30 various hermits, snails,
5 peppermint shrimp(for the aptasia), 4 Emerald crabs and 1 Coral banded shrimp and numerous worms, feather dusters, clams and such(mostly hitchhikers).
Now the tank has cycled about three weeks ago and I have pods everywhere including the fuge and two pod piles in the tank.(can you see where this is going).
I would like to add a blue tang (Dory from nemo for the kids but if not thats fine) if the tank is large enough ( I think most places recommend at least a 70gal).Any fish recommendations?
I also have not decided on corals yet.

Anyway my goal is to support one Blue Mandarin... This is my favorite marine fish, would love too have a male and female but I know thats not feasible.
Anyway, thats my little piece of the Big ole' blue, Let me know what you think.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:30 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

It is suggested to wait at least a year for a mandarin as most starve for lack of a pods population. If you really have that many and a fuge it sounds like you are on the right path. Personally I would give it a few more months to make sure all is well since your tank is still fairly new. After the new year if all is well and your pods are still prolific I would think you are OK for one and one only as they can quickly decimate your pods population.

As for the tang I would also wait. A 75g is on the small side for for a blue tang, but it can done. This particular tang can be touchy and prone to ich and does best in an established tank.

If you are going to wait for the pacific blue tang then do not add any other tangs in the meantime as 1 tang in a 75g is probably all you have room for.

As for other fish ideas it is really up to what you like and what you plan on doing long term such as inverts or corals. Take a look at what others have and what you like. Most importantly do your research and do not make any impulse purchases.

This site is good for profiling fish and helping to understand requirements and compatibility:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/categ.cfm?pcatid=15

HTH,

Tank: 90 Gal SW Reef in the making

See my info for setup and inhabitant details:
afilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 05:36 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would stear clear of the blue. They really need longer swimming room than 4' and will be very darty and spastic in such short space. You could easily get a small purple with that much space. Very attractive and hardy fish. Neither of mine is any worry with agression.

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 06:21 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

The statement about them being prone to ich has me saying noway...I think Nemo is just fine in there without Dory...Very soon I wont be able to see in the sides of the tank with so many pods... ... Im going to my LFS friday to see what he has to offer...
Old 11-03-2005, 06:29 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

I'd also consider taking the single clown back and getting a pair of farm raised percs.

Got a QT tank? Gonna be a real lifesaver as you begin stocking. Just imagine, full of rock, 6 fish in, 3 more to go, and the 7th fish infects the tank. Kills 5 of the first six. Believe me, it happened to me.

Hard to do with a new tank, but try to go slow on the fish additions. It'll be worth it.

Good luck.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 06:40 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsdad
I'd also consider taking the single clown back and getting a pair of farm raised percs.
My LFS told me the Ocillaris Clown was farm raised??? Maybe ,maybe not...And yes I do have a QT tank although small 10 gal with a hob wet/dry filter (seeded from main)and a heater w/ a small amount of livesand (1/4 inch deep or less)and a piece of liverock. I figured if I setup a small Qt tank then my spending will HAVE to remain small too...Oh and many pods in there too... I'm going to see what the LFS store has friday.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:08 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

pretty prolific if conditions are right
Old 11-03-2005, 07:30 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by macman7010
pretty prolific if conditions are right
Then I must be doing something right...

Tags
copepods

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com