Copepods in main tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TitoBoyz2491

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 20 gallon long reef tank. A buddy of mine gave me a piece of live rock from his fuge that has pods in it. I made a little "cage" for the rock to help keep the fish from picking away. I plan on adding a bottle of reef copepods from my lfs. I currently have tons of lr in there along with a yellow watchman, royal gramma, and a leopard wrasse. Do you think I can establish a pod population long term with this plan?

Attachments

• IMG_4098.jpg
    IMG_4098.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_8830.jpg
    IMG_8830.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 118
So the population wouldnt replenish within the rocks and the rock protected by egg crate? Im going to buy a bottle of pods at my lfs. Im thinking of getting some chaeto to go in with the liverock cage.

A major reason for this is because the leopard wrasse wont take to flakes or frozen brine shrimp. I see him picking at te lr and want to have a good pod population and try other foods such as live brine, mysis, blood worms, etc.

What about a cage that has two, smaller pieces of LR in it. Keep switching out the LR pieces, one at a time between the DT and your cage. It'll always keep a good population of pods on the LR in your cage. I would change them out every month or so? Not sure if this would be ideal...

The thing is its a 20 gallon long w tons of rock and not any space to put another cage in there. How about adding bottles every few months to replenish the population?

You are basically describing a refugarium. Normally designed into sumps, there is no reason a small caged area for pods to breed wouldn't work in the main tank.

Back
Top Bottom