copper on live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

electrikat

Aquarium Advice Addict
I had a tank with ich and treated with coppersafe. Broke the tank down and want to reuse the rock in another tank. Question: Can you get the copper out of the rock, for instance could you put the rock in a tub with water, circulate the water, maybe put a copper absorber in the tub. I have a copper test kit on the way, I can probably test the circulating water after a few hours and pick up if the copper is coming off of the rock. The rock has been laying outside drying for 4 days now to get rid of the ich. Any ideas or suggestions or hard facts out there. there has to be a way. This is just plain lace rock(base) not regular live rock. Not coral rock from the ocean. Just the stuff you get at the lfs in a box for fresh or salt tanks. not overly porous.

I wouldn't chance it. Most likely you would not be able to get all the copper out and if you use it as base rock, it could kill the bacteria on any live rock you add with it. Also could be detrimental to inverts you may want to add.
Its you call, but I would not risk it for some base rock.
Sorry,...just my opinion. :(

I don't know how true this is, but I had the same question earlier and someone told me that even if you do a copper test and it shows no sign of copper, the rock may eventually leak some later on. It may get trapped in the deep pores of the rock and one day leak out and kill all of your inverts (assuming you were going for a reef tank). Like quarryshark said, it isn't worth it for just base rock. If it were me, I'd play it safe. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom