Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-03-2014, 11:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

copper question

Long time no see. Been a while since ive been on since i closed my reef shop and moved on to pursue my life goals but anyways. I never ran into this question until now. IF my hospital 55 has had copper in it before and now i want to make it a reef will the vinegar bath be enough or will the silicone still hold the copper and leach it into my tank? Might be dumb but ive never though about it before thanks for the help.

PS I was going to post it in another area but it seemed the reef section fits my needs more than any other section since it pertains to the leaching into a reef tank.

Happy Reefing

Old 06-04-2014, 09:03 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've never used a copper medication, but from my understanding you may need to preform a bleach cleaning? I'm against using heavy chemicals and stuff as such in my tanks, so I've never run into this problem.

On a side note: Where In Florida was your shop?

Old 06-06-2014, 05:32 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

It'll be fine. You really have nothing to worry about.
Old 06-06-2014, 05:38 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I;d def run some cupra sorb through it to be sure. That will pull out any left over copper. Then just test water thats in it and see if anything is left.
Old 06-06-2014, 06:03 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
I;d def run some cupra sorb through it to be sure. That will pull out any left over copper. Then just test water thats in it and see if anything is left.

Silicone is really really not going to absorb enough copper to affect anything. That's one of the reasons it's used for everything, it doesn't absorb hardly anything.
Old 06-06-2014, 06:04 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

True, but I am of the school of thought better safe than sorry. I think cuprasorb is like $10 which isnt alot really. Thats just what I would do though, I may be a bit extra OCD when it comes to stuff like this though lol
Old 06-06-2014, 06:07 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
True, but I am of the school of thought better safe than sorry. I think cuprasorb is like $10 which isnt alot really. Thats just what I would do though, I may be a bit extra OCD when it comes to stuff like this though lol
hehe I'd just hit the water with some prime

I'm usually in the exact same school of thought as you are btw
Old 06-06-2014, 07:23 PM   #8
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Quote:
A mysterious death of a 100 dollar coral isn't something I'd ever want to deal with. I'd want to either treat like Carey said or just use a different tank.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 01:17 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks guys and gals. I'll scrub it down and try it with some cheap palys I've got on frag plugs in my other tank. If they take well to the water I'll start adding the cheap stuff first. I haven't ever heard of silicone absorbing copper but I was just making sure

Tags
question

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com