Copper Sulfate is that bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tank2379

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just started using this yesterday Spectrum Thera + A for my Onyx Clowns and Tang they love it by the way also my Mandarin which is a surprise. But anyhow I was looking at the Ingredients and one states Copper Sulfate? Would that be bad let alone be bad for my Corals?

LMK

:confused:

From my *very* cursory google search, copper sulfate is FO/FOWLR tank only. Should be *off* limits for a tank with corals. GL!

I think it's meant to be used in a QT environment. Most inverts, and some fish, are highly sensitive to copper.

I think it is a type of salt....It probably is ok in this application, depending on the concentration of the formula. I would think it might be a very small amount.
I do remember having it in an old chemistry set that had precautions on it, but I believe that was a higher concentration....just my thoughts...

My take on it is that in compound form copper might not be that bad. For instance in Salt (NaCl) you have two very unstable elements. I`ve seen my chemistry teacher years ago put Sodium in a beaker of water and see it sparking and flashing and popping and smoking. Chlorine is a lethal gas that would kill someone in seconds. Combined these two elements form a compound called salt which we use everyday to season our food. So dont be worried about the copper part but what it`s combined with to form the compound. I hope this makes sense.

Yes I was told Copper Sulfate is part of the Salt Mixes that we use it's part of the trace elements that are found in many brands of salt mixes.

You know there is over 89 different salts in marine salt mix. They are part of the trace elements found in marine salt water.

JR...will the real copper sulfate please stand up.....................

Back
Top Bottom