Copperband Butterfly feeding techniques???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hcuellart

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello guys,
Well I couldn't resist the temptation anymore and bought a beautiful Copperband Butterfly Chelmon rostratus. At the LFS I never saw the little guy eating anything, only picking at several pieces of LR that were infested with Aiptasia and now had none.
I know I should have waited till I saw them eating, but I did not want this fish to get more contact with the water at the LFS. They have a central setup and there were some fish that did not look quite good so to lower the possibility of transmission I brought it home to my 40G empty QT.
As I have not seen anything on the fish's skin, heavy breathing or fin damage I have not treated the QT. I will only lower the salinity in the following days just to be in the safe side.

OK, here is my question, are there any more successful techniques to feeding this guy other than live blood worms or the freshwater opened mussel? He did not take any frozen bloodworms and I cannot get a FW mussel. Any other experiences on the first feedings of this fish? He has already finished with a rock that had some feathers and tubeworms, but he won't pick at the substrate where the bloodworms are (bloodworms are fozen, I cannot get any live food here).

I hope someone can shed a little light here...

Thanks for your input.

mine cleared off my aiptasia problem, when he got hungry, he started eating frozen brine and mysis. It ate when the other fish ate and soon started joining in the every other day feeding frenzy.

I thought he might "learn" to eat frozen food from the others, but the only problem here is that he is alone in the QT with nobody to "learn" from and will be for at least 4 weeks more...

When mine was in QT I had a problem with him eating also. When I would feed he paid no attention to the food. What worked for was some cyclopeeze soaked in garlic and zoe. After the first time he got a taste I could just put the baster/feeder in the tank and he would come over and start pecking at it. He is in the main now and I still feed him cyclopeeze about once a week.

I just put a piece of thawed broccoli with a drop of garlic extreme on it in the tank for the regal tang and foxface. They are paying it no attention to it but the copperband is chowing down. Might want to try it?

Back
Top Bottom