Copperband Butterfly Fish, Chelmon rostratus- Reef safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pdwire

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have heard differing opinons on whether this fish is reef safe or not. It is known for eating Aipstasia but I have also heard it will pick on other corals. Anyone have experience with this fish?

From what I know these guys can be very difficult to take prepared foods. Some are lucky and get one that starts to eat , while others slowly starve. I think there safe with coral, but I know they will eat every last feather duster you own.

:mrgreen: Yea its best to steer clear of it because of its eating problems as well.

I got a Copperband from LiveAquaria.com and it is eating like a pig. I think the key to feeding is to offer a large variety to see what it likes. I have had mine for 8 weeks now and it has yet to bother my mushrooms or polyps. But...it is not considered 100% reef safe so it can be a crap-shoot. They are truely an awesome fish!

i have one as well and yes they will eat every duster ya have and real quick to !! also mine has attacked some yellow polyps !! and i agree with lando but not just with the copperbanded but any fish
I think the key to feeding is to offer a large variety to see what it likes

Back
Top Bottom