Coral?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tkociban

Aquarium Advice Regular
What is the best coral to grow with these lights. I know about next to nothing when it comes to coral. So the more information the better.

Attachments

• image-1250409485.jpg
    image-1250409485.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 111
What exactly are softies? The tank is a 20 gallon long.

Yeah definitely only softies:
Mushrooms, Some zoanthids (some demand more light than others), Kenya tree, I believe some types of Ricordea as well.

Just go on Google and type in "Soft corals" theres a bunch out there.

Yeah definitely only softies:
Mushrooms, Some zoanthids (some demand more light than others), Kenya tree, I believe some types of Ricordea as well.

Just go on Google and type in "Soft corals" theres a bunch out there.

Is there a different bulb I can get that would be better. I can't afford a hull new fixture.

Is there a different bulb I can get that would be better. I can't afford a hull new fixture.

Unfortunately a T8 fixture only takes T8 bulbs. You could try and find the highest wattage of a T8 bulb but I still don't think you'll be good enough for LPS/SPS.

Go on Aquatraders.com and look into a T5 fixture. I have a T5 Odyssea fixture on my 29G tank. I have softies, LPS, and some SPS all doing fine

Are any of these better?

Attachments

• image-1321435725.jpg
    image-1321435725.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 72
  • image-3547487669.jpg
    image-3547487669.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 66
I cant see where it says on the first one, but the second one is a t5. It will not work in your t8 fixture. If you are serious about having corals, I would invest in a cheap t5ho fixture. If you cant afford that, you probably cant afford alot of the other stuff you will need to keep a successful reef tank. Dont mean to be blunt, but its hard to cut corners in this hobby. Sorry.

The coralife light im not sure of, the T5 is good but you can't use that in the fixture you have I don't think

I'm pretty sure that before the light I have now I had a t5 bulb in it. I went to t8 because I thought they were better.

T8 fixtures are not necessarily better. Just because the number is higher, doesn't mean you are getting more.
I would save up for a better fixture. I wouldn't buy any corals until then.

Tevin right? You can pick up dual bulb t5 fixtures out in st clairsville at pet supplies plus and I think petco at the highlands may carry them too but not sure you'd have to call. If you want a better selection you could go to aquaworld in Pittsburgh where they offer used and new equipment.

Tevin right? You can pick up dual bulb t5 fixtures out in st clairsville at pet supplies plus and I think petco at the highlands may carry them too but not sure you'd have to call. If you want a better selection you could go to aquaworld in Pittsburgh where they offer used and new equipment.

Ok thanks ill look into that.

Back
Top Bottom