Coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cb24

Aquarium Advice Freak
What are some corals you recommend for beginners? I have t5 lighting system and a 55 gallon tank

Yeah I'm looking in to coral as well anyone have an opinion on the led uv lights

My first corals were zoas, star polyps, hammer and some leathers under 4 x 54w t-5s still going strong even though I have since upgraded...

Zoas, palys, mushrooms, candy canes and toadstools are a few off the top of my head. I'm sure there are many more. Hope I helped

I started with zoas and mushrooms.

Mushrooms are a good indicator of light. If they stand up, that means they aren't getting enough. Healthy mushrooms should lay flat out on the rock they are attached too. Color is no indication of health though. That pretty much goes for any coral. Coral only indicates the amount of zooxanthellae present. More zooxanthellae will make the coral brown in color.

Zoas can be a good indicator of too much light. If the polyps don't open, then lights could be too bright. But that would be some really strong lights, like light that is good for picky sps.

I think it's best to start with coral that are photosynthetic and won't rely on feeding too much. In a new tank you want to be careful when learning to adjust and maintain parameters.

After zoas and mushrooms I went with a torch coral which adds some good movement. Torches and hammers are pretty hardy :) hope that helps!

Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom