Coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

InxayonFinland

Aquarium Advice Activist
i bought my coral from a lfs and at the lfs it was open and everything but now i've had it for almost a day and it hasn't opened up yet. Is there anything thats wrong with it or is this normal?

What kind of coral? What are your water parameters? Explain your setup? (lights, flow, etc.) How did you acclimate?

Coral - green star polyp
Parameters - 1.23 - 1.24

I have an Orbit Compact Fluorescent fixture that runs 130 watts. For flow i have two maxi jet 1200s on either side of the tank.

I acclimated my coral by letting it sit in the bag that it came in in my tank for around 20 -30 adding water to the bag around every five minutes.

My GSP did that. It stayed closed for a day. The polyps started to come out about 36 hours after adding it to my tank.

I would say this is normal and nothing to worry about. I had a leather recently that took over a week to act alive. It freaks you out, but you will be ok I'm sure.

its been 4 days and my coral still hasn't opened up. why? I checked my salenity test today and it rose... a lot. It was up to 1.28. I'm hoping once it goes back down though, the coral will open up.

Yes when you add to your tank due to evaporation you need to use freshwater. If not you are adding more salt to your already exsisting salt and that makes your salinity go up. But im sure you knew that. ;)

Please post all water parameters...NH3, NO2, NO3, temp, SG, Ph. It still sounds like fairly normal behavior for a newly introduced coral. The SG does worry me a bit. You need to get it down to about 1.023-1.025. When doing so do it very slowly. Maybe a point every couple of days.

LocalHost : Hendersonville. Where do you get your fish and corals? I like Aquatic Critter off of Noensville road.

Scottm & h8z2luze : I have both a jug of RODI'd fresh and saltwater. i used the salt to rise my salinety and then the fresh for top-offs. I ran out of fresh unfortuately because of my freshwater tank so i had to use a bit of my saltwater and thats what did it. BUT i am getting two jugs filled with freshwater again this weekend.

lando : Everything else is perfect except for the salinity.

morgan24 : no idea what to say lol.

Back
Top Bottom