Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-30-2006, 09:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Coral Advice

I currently have a 20-gallon tank with a torch coral and about 15 mushrooms (frilly, purple, and red) and was planning on buying another coral this Friday. I want to know which corals you guys would recommend. I want one that's hardy, would thrive well in a smaller tank, and perferrably be interesting and pretty as well. I also need one that will do well with a false percula clownfish, a rusty angel, a jawfish, a manderin, and a scissortail goby as well as emerald crabs, an anenome crab, a cleaner shrimp, a brittle star, and other stuff.

Old 05-30-2006, 10:15 PM   #2
Avi
Aquarium Advice Activist

Zoanthids. Take a look at the variety, the colors....and they're hardy, too. Well....start out looking here:

http://www.zoaid.com/index.php?modul...m&g2_itemId=15

Old 05-30-2006, 10:27 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hackteck
dont wanna come down on you but you have all those fish in a 20g?
Old 05-30-2006, 10:28 PM   #4

Yeah I had considered those but aren't those poisonous.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:21 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to FishFrik
Hey, you have an anem. crab? Do u have an anemone? If no, where does the crab live? I really want an anem. crab but i won't buy it til i get more info. about it.

Zoos are considered poisonous to u if u touch them with ur bare skin. If u handle them with care (wearing gloves, etc.), there shouldn't be any problem. I like zoos alot. They are "very" hardy and grow pretty rapidly (IME). They come in a great variety of coloration too.

Also, Xenia is a pretty coral. Fairly easy to keep.

HTH
Old 05-30-2006, 11:33 PM   #6
Avi
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabeeteez14
Yeah I had considered those but aren't those poisonous.
They are "poisonous." I believe that only some people are susceptible to the poison, though. I've handled them so many times that I have concluded that I don't react to their toxin, but I've heard that if someone is sensitive to it, it can be very serious, so it's not something to be frivolous with. Still, this is not a reason to exclude them from your reef, IMO, and you can take certain precautions like wearing gloves and making sure you wash your hands thoroughly after handling any zoanthids and before you might put your hands to your mouth, eyes, etc.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:36 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Before you go any further hackteck asked a good question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackteck
dont wanna come down on you but you have all those fish in a 20g?
The angel alone is recomended for at least a 30g and a 20g will never support the pods population to feed a mandarin unless is is hooked up to a large fuge.

You mentioned ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by diabeeteez14
and other stuff.
Your "my info" link seems out of date as it states you have a CB, six line and anenome. Please update it and describe your setup to include lighting and filtration so we can better assist.

Not trying to beat you up, just help and save you some of the mistakes we have made. Before you get any other corals you probably need to adjust your stocking.

HTH,

Tank: 90 Gal SW Reef in the making

See my info for setup and inhabitant details:
Old 05-30-2006, 11:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Hey, you have an anem. crab? Do u have an anemone? If no, where does the crab live? I really want an anem. crab but i won't buy it til i get more info. about it.
Well the anenome crab has been around for about 2 or 3 months and is doing great. It chose a rock almost completely covered in mushroom polyps and found a larger purple one to cover it self. When feeding time comes (DT with phytoplankton) it comes from under the polyp and filters the water with fanlike arms. It's great to watch and is a real conversation piece. Even in my small 20 gal it has molted twice and has almost doubled in size since I purchased it from my LFS. I would recommend buying one. HTH.

To everyone else I'll take all you're comments into consideration. About my overstocked tank everyone seems to be doing well and a few I just got yesterday. I'll see how it goes and I'll play it by ear. Thanks!
Old 05-31-2006, 08:29 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
and a few I just got yesterday

You put more fish in yesterday? Which ones? How long have the various fish been in there.How often are you feeding DT's? Just sounds like you should REALLY be watching your nitrates. If they really are in check and at acceptable levels, you should take some time to explain yor setup. How old a tank, filtration methods. How much LR? Substrate type and depth. Stuff like that.

Sorry for so many questions, but I'd sure like to know how you are doing what you're doing.

I'll betcha lots of us would like to know how that many fish can do well in a 20g tank and would like to be able to do that too. Lemme guess, you got a 50g refugium running off that bad boy , right? 8)

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

Old 05-31-2006, 11:51 AM   #10

Well the mandarin, jawfish, and neon goby were just added Monday and I feed them DT's every other day with flakes everyday. The scissortail and clownfish have been there since January, the angel has been there only about one month and the others like I mentioned Monday. The nitrates and everything else is doing well (tested it at my LFS) and the tank is pretty old but I've only had it 6 or 7 months. The neighbor who gave it to me had it running for several years before handing to me. The substrate is just regular live sand about 1-2 inches in depth and the amount of liverock is not much but I can't tell you exactly how much because it came with the tank. And abouth the refugium sorry but no. I have just a regular Bioball filtration system. Also, the fish can exist happily because they each have their own "area". The jawfish made its home already in the live sand, the neon is in the LR, the mandarin on the floor, and the angel, clownfish, and scissortail swim around. I also have a great cleanup crew with 15 blue-legs, a fairly large red-leg, 10 turbo snails, two emerald crabs, an anenome crab, a brittle starfish, and the cleaner shrimp and neon goby for the fish and to control ich. The crabs help to contain my red bubble algae problem. I think that answers all your questions.

Tags
coral

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com