Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-15-2011, 02:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Coral Aggression

I hear things like leathers can be toxic to other corals and aggression with tentacles stinging. But I always see reef tanks with the corals so close. I want to get things like leathers and other corals but how do other people keep their corals so close to each other without problems?

Currently I only have one small frogspawn coral

Old 08-15-2011, 06:18 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

They research what can coexist. Some soft corals can be kept like a bouquet of flowers, most SPS corals can be kept close together if you are aware of the different corals and how long their sweeper tentacles are. Same with LPS. As far as the toxins they release (especially the softies) activated carbon and water exchanges are the only things that reduce those to manageable levels.

When placing a frag be aware of light and current requirements. Treat it like planting a tree with expectation that it is going to grow and fill in space. Some people drill their live rock and glue a plastic pin to the coral, so it can be moved if necessary.

Tags
aggression, coral

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com