Coral and Reef Glue & Epoxy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tank2379

Aquarium Advice Addict
Have a couple question about sticking your corals to your LR or Frag Plug.

Can you use super glue under water to place a Frag or attach a Frag that does not have a coral plug attach to it? Frags with plugs attached to them am I able to Put Epoxy and attach it underneath the water at once and then stick it to the LR?

Just asking some of these question I have a Couple frags I need to attach to my LR, right now I just have them wedged between some fiji rock which is jammed in there pretty good with no movement at all? You think that would be OK or should I Glue it? Will it still grow without being glued? Let me know what would be the best methods of putting your corals together....

Super glue gel works OK wet, but you have to be fast. 1st put a big gob on the frag while it's out of the water. Then stick the glue in the tank and squeeze a big gob on the rock where you want the coral. It will start to haze over and turn white. Then quickly mash the glued up frag to the gob on the rock.

I use it for any kind of fragging. Everyone in a while I might use thread if it is too soft.

Working with epoxy is a totally different thing. You have quite a bit of time (relatively) before it starts to harden on you. Epoxy isn't like glue though... it's good for making cradles or supports, but don't expect it to "glue" your coral down. It's also good for securing branching type corals by putting a blob on your rock, then shoving the dead skeleton stalk of the coral into the blob and mushing the epoxy into all the nook and crannies of the stalk. Once it hardens, the epoxy more or less locks the stalk in place.

Pay close attention to the directions on the epoxy, as they all have their quirks about them. It's best to take a little piece and play with it in a bucket of saltwater to get a feel for how it's going to behave and how long it takes to harden. For example, the D&D (Rowa) epoxy will really cloud up your water if it's overworked in the tank. It's suggested that you "preknead" it in a separate container of water. On the other hand, the Two Little Fishies brand really doesn't cloud up the water at all. (Those two happen to be my favorites, with the D&D stuff being a little stickier than the TLF brand.)

Sweet. Well Right now my Stony coral( Branching Frogspawn) is not attached like it's suppose to be on my LR I have it sitting on top of a LR that actually has a hole on top and it fits right in without any movement. I have some water circulation and pretty strong to but not to strong and it does not move. Should I still attach it to the LR or leave be? It's blooming out very nice and had it for about 2 weeks without any issue's...

Back
Top Bottom