Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-31-2011, 09:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Coral Banded Shrimp

Can anyone give me a yay or nay for these guys. I have cleaners in my other two tanks, but wanted something different for this one. Its a 20G tank, pair of clarkiis and a yellow watchman goby so far. I've had peppermints before, but notice they like to hide a lot. Looking for a shrimp that I don't have to search for all the time. Not that I expect it to be out all the time, but you know.... thanks!

Old 03-31-2011, 09:53 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Look for the smaller yellow or purple bellied variety. Really nice looking but can't guarantee they won't hide. Maybe the larger red and white ones may be seen more just cause they're so big. If it's the only shrimp in a 20g, I'd say go for it.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 02:22 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Personally I love CBS. Their so entertaining walking around looking to scavenge. But in my experience I added one a couple years ago to my 20 gallon which already had a camel shrimp and he went straight for it to take it apart. Some luck out and can have them with other shrimps.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:21 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I plan on only having one shrimp, but what about crabs? I have emerald crabs, and I like to watch them (in other tanks) I had an Arrow Crab for a short period of time, not sure why he didn't last.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:12 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

I would go for a smaller variety also. I have one in my 75g along with 2 cleaners and that thing is HUGE!! A smaller one would do great in your 20g.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:35 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I think I'll go for it, but none today, they sold the one they had before I got there. I did get a neat small pencil urchin though
Old 04-01-2011, 06:54 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have a really big coral banded shrimp. He is very cool. Very interesting to watch. He did eat one of my peppermint shrimp today. I'm not really sure what happened. I think that my Condy killed it then the banded shrimp stole it and ate it. I kinda expected it to happen but I need the peppermint shrimp to do some aiptasia eradication.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:35 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have 3 in my tank, they're very cool. I didn't realize that there were 2 males and one female, so the males are often challenging each other. I would say a mated pair is the limit for any size tank.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:41 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Everyone keeps saying it but I'll add my 2 cents. I also have a CBS and he is really funny to watch. It's surprising how much personality they have! He walks around like he owns the joint! I've had him for just over a month and he's molted and is huge now! But I love him
Old 04-01-2011, 07:46 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I think I'll enjoy a CBS, and I still would like to hear more people's experiences with them.

Tags
coral, coral banded, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com