coral banded shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lindsikins00

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a coral banded shrimp that I have had for about 3 months now. I read that they can harass small shrimp. I was thinking about getting a cleaner shrimp, but changed my mind cause I don't want the coral banded to hurt him. Anyone have experience with them cohabitating? I'm not going to take the coral banded back to the store in order to get a cleaner, he eats from my hands :)
30 gallon, Ammona 0 Nitrite 0 Nitrate less than 5
weekly water changes too

I have 2 cleaners in with my CBS. He harrased them a bit after they went in but I think they are ok. It has only been a week though. The cleaners are normally up on one of the powerheads so I don't think the CBS could get them any way.

I will remove the CBS if needed. I have had peppermints and have 2 right now. I rarely see them though. I had one I lost 3-4 weeks ago but I really did not see any foul play.

HTH

I had a skunk cleaner I loved, but it died during a really hot summer. So I decided to replace it with a coral banded shrimp. It was doing very well, and a fish store was closing next to me, so I got the last peppermint shimp there. A few days later, I walk down in the morning and my coral shimp has the peppermint gripped in its big clas on the head and tail. The shrimp was still alive, and the coral shrimp was taking its other claws and RIPPING the legs off of the still-alive peppermint! When I came back that afternoon, it had began the long digecting process, starting at the head. Needless to say that day there was a happy shrimp, a very sad shrimp, and a p/o'd owner :evil: . However, I have seen other shimp do fine in aquariums with coral shrimps, I think it has to do with the individual. Just try and find a neighbor shrimp a little on the big side.

Fishstixs05 experience is a good example of what can happen, in a 30 gal tank they are going to run in to each other quit often, and if the CBS can grab the cleaner, IME, he will. In a bigger tank it would be less likely.

Yea the tank is on the small side. The CBS sometimes "throws some punches" at fish that swim by. (The fish don't even seem phased tho) I guess I will just stick with just the coral banded. I don't want to risk it. Thanks guys!

I have a 75 gal with 115lbs of LR so there is a few more hiding places. If I had to do it over again, i would probably skip the CBS. Cleaner shrimp are just so darn expensive.

Hopefully mine will make it. I have a Tang that will be joining soon :)

CBS are pretty....pretty mean. My CBS takes swips at the fish, crabs and even me when I put my hand into the tank. I think in a 30 gallon the CBS would eat any other cleaner you put in.

My CBS cleans my fish, but he never killed the other shrimp. They do stay on opposite sides of the tank. The whole trying to grab nearby fish is a stage IMO. Until he realises there of no harm he will stop. Now mines well behaved.

Hey, I have a six-lined wrasse that looks like he has a pice of his top fin missing. Could the CBS be the culprit? He doesnt seem to be effected by it and i put some melafix in. Im thinking of taking the shrimp out, he stands on a rock and sort of gaurds a quater of the 30 gallon. What do you guys think?

My CBS is very docile. He never bothers my damsel when he hangs out next to him. I've seen my pep cleaning on a rock directly above the CBS actually touch antennae and never paid each other any attention. He is very active though.

Good, he seems to be fine, other than appearance-wise. BTW six-line, have you seen the picture of him in my gallery? Those lined eyes of his are so cool!

Back
Top Bottom