Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-24-2005, 04:14 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Coral Banded Shrimp Eating Anemone?!

My friend came home today and called me and told me he caught his coral banded shrimp eating his purple BT anemone. He said the anemone has only an orange bulb now with now tentacles. Could this be right? He's had nothing but trouble from this shrimp since he got it, it's eaten or has been suspected in eating a mandarin goby. He did see it and some hermit crabs on the goby. He can't seem to catch the shrimp though. I was just wondering if any of you have ever heard of a coral banded shrimp eating an anemone. It sounds pretty hard to believe to me but he said he caught him in the act.

Old 02-24-2005, 04:21 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have heard of this happening.

Old 02-24-2005, 05:23 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
From my knowledge, CBS's are hard to judge when it comes to reef tanks. Some will eat corals/anemones, and some won't. Same thing with it's attitude. Some will be peaceful, and some wont. I have never heard of a CBS killing a fish before, but remember, they are serious scavengers. It's quite possible that the CBS found the dead goby and then chowed down on it.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 05:37 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

The goby was alive and would swim when my buddy shoood the CBS away. The next mornign the goby's tail was all mangled. He hates that **** shrimp. He's comtemplating taking out all of his LR in order to get to the CBS. I'm glad I didn't get one. They are pretty though.
Old 02-25-2005, 12:01 AM   #5
steve-s

With fish I agree CBS's can be very hazardous but not corals and anemones. I have never heard of or witnessed that. I've had one in my 27 mini reef for years without issue to the corals or anemones. Could be the CBS was just looking for food and the anemone retracted due to being irritated.

I would like to see a pic if it's possible.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
anemone, coral, coral banded, eat, eating, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com