Coral banded shrimp nice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wentom7

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I wrote awhile ago how my dwarf lion lost it's tail. There is a mature coral banded shrimp in with it. When I read on it it said they're not at all aggressive to fish, but someone else told me different. Any experiences with this? Thank you

They can be. Anything with claws is a potential danger. I have seen CBS attack other shrimp and crabs, and kill them.

It's possible but I've never heard of s shrimp attacking something like a lionfish.

When fish sleep, they sometimes hit the bottom, or perch completely still in the rock. A perfect opportunity for an opportunistic feeder to have a go at it. A crab or predatory shrimp is not going to discriminate.
My CBS was traded to me because the original owner said he was concerned since it would lunge at fish, and he believed he lost a fish as a result.
I see the same behavior in my system... It will lunge at tangs that are 10x it's size.

Keep a coral banded shrimp fed they are class citizens
get a hungry coral banded shrimp they can be a holly terror
so don't be fooled , but I don't think a coral banded shrimp would have a chance against a lion fish ,
what other stock is in your tank

No, not attack, just nibble it's tail off, all else is in tack. It's a very young and small lion No bigger than the shrimp. Also have an aggressive dotty back, it's one of the two.

Really good feedback, thanks so much. 2 small mated clownfish, 1 fire fish, 1 blue hippo tang (small) 1 dwarf lion fish, 1 green goby and 1 bicolored dotty back. Also a clean up crew. Appreciate all feedback. Wendy

With my experience, my CBS started off okay. As he matured he became extremely territorial. He would try to attack everything in my aquarium including corals, fish and anemone... Gave him back to my lfs for a couple of turbo snails lol

No more chances

I don't want to take anymore chances, they both go back! No bullies for me! Thanks for all your input. Very much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom