Coral banded shrimp vs Cleaner Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

geckofrog

Aquarium Advice Regular
Will a coral banded shrimp pick on a cleaner shrimp? (55 gallons)

Just curious, debating whether to get one or not...

I've never had a CBS but from what I've read, they can sometimes be pretty nasty. It may harass other smaller shrimp of different species. I had a fire shrimp and a cleaner, they got along great.

as with anything, it depends on the individual. i had the same question and searched it and i got varied responses. i went ahead and got the cbs. great personality and movement, plus hes always out, so i like that aspect. he nipps at the peppermints but only at feeding time, and they do try to steal his dinner, so i cant say that i blame him, lol.....

My CBS gets along fine with my cleaner/peppermint shrimp and generally keeps to himself. He fights more with my brittle starfish then anything during feeding time. My CBS has been molting about every 3 weeks and lost and then regenerated his arm twice now. It’s a great scavenger and unlike my other shrimp is always out in the open all day.

Main advise is to never add more then one CBS to a tank unless 125+ gal or else they will fight IME.

I had a CBS and he was more dominant then my eel and would pick on most of my fish. Eventually the eel ate him but IME give him lots of liverock and space and they will be less likely to bother anything. HTH

I have a CBS with two skunk cleaners, three peppermints, one fire shrimp and one pistol shrimp. I have had no issues. My CBS happens to be a bit shy and does not bother anything. Others have not been as lucky.

I like my coral banded shrimp...he is pretty cool, especially when its feeding time. Then he goes crazy! Pretty active scavanger during the day.

Back
Top Bottom