Coral Banded Shrmp question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dralarms

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have 2 coral banded shrimp in my 150 and 1 of them appears to have turned green on it's belly area, is this something to worry about? :?

Water is 0,0,0 do have some hair algae. BUT this doesn't look like algae. I'll try and snap a picture but the shrimp is camera shy.

Thats nothing to worry about. The green stuff on the shrimps belly are eggs. I had a mated pair of coral banded shrimp once and this happened often however the babys never made it. I can only assume due to filtration and the fish in the tank. One thing I did notice is that the shriimp became a little more aggresive when she was carrying the egg sack.

HTH
Karl

karlseith said:
Thats nothing to worry about. The green stuff on the shrimps belly are eggs. I had a mated pair of coral banded shrimp once and this happened often however the babys never made it. I can only assume due to filtration and the fish in the tank. One thing I did notice is that the shriimp became a little more aggresive when she was carrying the egg sack.

HTH
Karl

That's what I thought it was. I have been busy and have not had the time to "properly" maintain my tank. Been fighting back from a hair algae breakout like you would not believe. 8O Everything is healthy in the tank, just still battling the hair. :roll: , starting today I cut out all the lights but 1, I tried this once before but I cut out ALL the lights and my tangs arn't smart enough to come out of the rock unless the lights come on :roll: , so I lost 2 tangs, 1 blue hippo, and a great big yellow 9that didn't help with the algae problem either. I've been fighting back with phosphate sponge, cutting back on feedings, an algae "remover" that's reef safe (it works but not very fast). I think my problem now is the hair algae is dieing off and providing food for the other hair algae. :roll:

Oh man, sounds like no fun at all. I have known people to give up on the hobby all together after bouts with hair algae. Sounds like your going about it the right way though, keep at it and good luck!

Thanks I will. and the shrimp babies may not have any chance but with a 150 gal tank and bunches of rock plus that hair algae all over they might actually be abel to hide long enough to survive.

I had some hair algae jump up on me and I got a few emerald crabs and a lawnmower blenny and it is nicely under control now. Took the crabs and the blenny about 2 weeks to take care of things.

Back
Top Bottom