Coral Beauties Reef Safe???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TitoBoyz2491

Aquarium Advice Regular
Are Coral Beauties reef safe? I plan of having corals such as Star Polyps, Xenia, maybe a colt coral.

Hit or miss. Do an online search on them and see what others have to say. I for one have had both sides of the spectrum, but I have a soft spot for Centropyge and they can do no harm imo, but I know Melosu had horrible luck with them in the end. It's all about tolerances on your part in what you can accept in their picking behaviors or not :)

they are known to nip at pretty much all corals. its all about luck of the draw. you might get a nipper you might get a erm... non-nipper.

innovator has been beating me to it all day today lol.

Well it looks like its a risk right? But they are very beautiful fish. Are any of the small angels less known for nipping?

Usually the pygmies are less known such as C. aurantonotus, C. argi, C. flavicauda, and C. acanthops.

I dont have any corals, but mine is constantly picking at the LR. They might nip at the corals I'd imagine, in search of food.

Others angels you can also look into that are more reef safe than others are: Lamarck's-Genicanthus lamarck, Blackspot-Genicanthus melanospilos, and Watanabe's Angelfish-Genicanthus watanabei
Think twice before you get the Xenia unless you REALLY like them... they spread quick

I dont have any corals, but mine is constantly picking at the LR. They might nip at the corals I'd imagine, in search of food.

They will graze on algae on rocks as they eat both meat and plant matter.

I had a Coral Beauty in my reef for right at 2 years with no issues at all. I have SPS and LPS corals. As Innovator said it is hit or miss. That is pretty much true of all angels.

As James said my coral beauty was a model citizen for 4 yrs and then went bezerk. Mine didnt mess with the corals you mentioned. Mine ate a brain and hammer coral. They would eat the fleshy corals I`ve taken the NO ANGELS pledge.

Sounds like they are pretty risky lol. Well ryshark yea I wouldnt mind them spreading quick, thanks for the heads up. I decided not to get an angel. Its a shame though theyre beauties

Depends on the individual personality of the fish, i agree with James as well :)

I have also taken the no angels pledge recently. I had a french for a year no issues, then it figured out the corals were tasty. Had to go, then recently tried a small queen same thing but less time. I do love the coral beauties, but I would not try it. They will eventually decide the coral polyps are tasty, and by then you will be attached to the fish.

Back
Top Bottom