Coral Beauty and Flame Angel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

macman7010

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 35 gallon tank that housed a coral beauty angel fish. I added a flame angel yesterday, although the flame seriously picks on the coral beauty. the chasing is severe and I am certain without some type of remedy the coral beauty will perish from the stress. i have had a sheet over the tank all day to minimize stress. what should I do ... would increasing rock work helpo??

would increasing rock work helpo??
Doubtful. I'm sorry to say that a 35 gallon tank is room enough for just one Dwarf Angel. They will most likely fight to the death. In a large system you can get away with it, but in a 35 there is simply no where to hide.
I would return one of them to the LFS. IMO
Sorry :(

If you are set on keeping both you will definitely have to create many hiding places for the less dominant one to hide in. Keep an eye on them and you may have to take one of them back.

I think that the combo you have might not work out in a tank that size. If your set on keeping them both, then you could rearrange the rock work to try and help. You can also add a tank devider for a few days and let them get used to one another. Hope it works out.

What other inhabitants are in the tank? :wink:

IMO a 35 is way too small for 2 angels. if the CB is already getting stressed out I would return the flame before one gets killed.

I'd love to get a Flame Angel with my Coral Beauty but I wouldnt try it in my 72 gallon.

Keep us updated on how it goes.
Good Luck

there is a scooter blenny, and various shirmp, crabs, and snails. that is about it. the people at the lfs did not think it would be a problem, though maybe the tank divider would work.

the people at the lfs did not think it would be a problem

Ya not a problem for them.. :evil: They make a sell thats all that matters in most cases. I would return one if at all possible. Sorry for the news bud.. :|

In my experience, it is rare to find a fish store that will actually care about the end result and do what is best for the fish vs the possibility of the sale. That is why it is best to do your own research before going into the store. Forewarned is forearmed, as the saying goes.

Sorry to say, but I agree with everyone else. Take one back. A 35gal is way too small for two dwarfs. Sorry. On the subject of LFS, if they told you it would be okay, find another one to shop at. If you look around you will find one that is educated and cares about the fish. Even if you have to drive a bit farther it is worth it in the long run.

I don't think the tank divider would work. Even if the aggresion stopped it may start up once you take out the divider.

You should print out any info on keeping dwarf angels, and take it in with you. Just in case they give you any problems with the return.

you describe the fish combination i want.... but i would be very cautious about adding two angels in a small tank like yours. i have a 45g tank and wouldn't do it.

take one back..... and get some less agressive mates.

check my signature.. i have a coral beauty living fine with many others.

from what i know, angel and angel together is bad unless you have at least a 6 foot tank with lots of hiding spaces.

Back
Top Bottom