Coral beauty angel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Foskett96

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello. So I've had my coral beauty angel for 3 days now and it is currently in quarantine. I tried feeding him some nori for the first time today but he couldn't be less interested In it. He was swimming around though like he was hungry peeking and the glass and on the heater. I know it's not uncommon for fish not to eat after only 3 days but I wanted to ask people with coral beauty angels what would you say their favourite foods are???

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It took a long time for mine to eat too. I did a mix of plankton, krill, mysis and brine and after a week or so he started picking at the food floating by. It was a good 10 days before he ate regularly. I hear this is common for coral beauties...

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I never feed mine stuff like nori. I feed frozen foods like mysis shrimp. It will be pecking around eating algae as it wants to, there is enough in my tank for it if it wants it.

I added some nls pellets to the tank today and the coral beauty swam up and well got them in her mouth but then she just spat them out. Not sure why she'd spit them out

I think you need to try live or frozen. Even if you're concerned about nutrition it's better for a fish to eat fatty foods than to starve. I've never really heard of feeding angels nori, I always thought that was more for tangs and filefish.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I added some nls pellets to the tank today and the coral beauty swam up and well got them in her mouth but then she just spat them out. Not sure why she'd spit them out

Go with some frozen as stated before. Some fish will never recoginze pellets as food. Thats why it spit it out. It tried it and decided nope, this isn't food.

Mysis or brine at this point would be your best bet.

I will pick up some frozen mysis in about 2 days. Mage doesn't seem to show any signs of being thin. Also she never seems too interested in the piece of live rock I have with her in the quarantine. Maybe there isn't enough growth in it but I'm not sure I never see her picking at it

My coral beauty is 18 years old. She eats mysis, home made and reef crack frozen foods. She also nibbles at nori.

my coral beauty and flame wont touch nori they love munching on red grape macro and also hit the frozen mysis hard they are happy and fat

I picked up some ocean nutrition Pygmy angelfish formula so hopefully this may get her to eat

So I decided to put in half a cube of ocean nutrition Pygmy angel formula and to my surprise I think she rather enjoyed it. At first she took a few pecks at it then she started really going at the cube ripping it apart. I did notice that she seemed to prefer the smaller floating pieces of the food then the big block she'd go for every floating bit taking it in then spitting it out. I'm guessing to make the bits smaller hopefully she did eat it which I'm presuming so as there's hardly any left. Also to my surprise I believe she may of eaten a few nls pellets

This is a easy to care for and long lived little fish. He will not like any other angles that are shaped or colored like him.

This is a easy to care for and long lived little fish. He will not like any other angles that are shaped or colored like him.

My only angel and only I plan on having in the tank.

Hey guys. So today I performed a water change and about an hour after I noticed my coral beauty was breathing heavy. I thought this may be due to stress so I turned off all the lights. I'm starting to worry as I don't know why he maybe be doing this. I tested the water after the water change and these were the results:

ph: 8.0
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate: 0
Phosphate: 0
Temp: 25.5
Salinity: 1.022 (my Lfs keeps there fish at around 1.020 - 1.021 so I acclimate them to a lower salinity in qt and slowly raise it)
Alkalinity: at least 8.5dkh

I'm completely stumped as to why the sudden change he's always been so curious swimming around breathing fine. But now he's breathing heavy and is in the top corner.

Well, the after water change numbers are good, but if it was showing signs of stress the before would have been what could have told you the issue at hand if it was a parameter issue. If you are testing for 0 nitrates though, parameters aren't the cause of what you are describing.
Have you witnessed any bullying behavior from other tank mates? How about frayed fins? In my 55, the coral beauty was going toe to toe for some time establishing it's territory once it entered the tank. The same goes for any fish, they all need such, and if there are other aggressive fish in the tank it is quite possible that it is stress from bullying.

The numbers before the water change are:
pH: 8
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
Alkalinity: 7.5
Temp: 25.5
Salinity: 1.021

And that is 25.5 degrees Celsius!

Breathing hard generally means a gill problem, low oxygen or a irritant to the gill membranes. Accidentally allowing chloramine into the water using tap can cause a problem like this. Also high ammonia levels.

Back
Top Bottom