Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-15-2005, 11:34 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Coral Beauty Color?

I am getting a coral beauty with a 120 reef I'm getting Saturday. The tank is a full blown reef with softies, sps and clams. The coral beauty did not have the typical color through its sides but, rather was almost solid deep purple. The LFS said the color was due to corals in its diet. Anybody experienced this firsthand?

Inverts
Green & Red Musrooms, Pumping Xenia, Green Star Polyps, Green/Purple Ricordia, Orange Ricordia, Green Acro, Bubble Coral, Hammer Coral, Maxima Clam, Crocea Clam, peppermint shrimp, various snails and crabs.

Fish
Yellow Tang, Mated Perculas, Bicolor Blenny, Elaegant Wrasse, Possum Wrasse, Clown Goby, Purple Pseudochromis, Coral Beauty, Golden Angel
seve1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 11:39 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You can look at 10 different coral beauties and they will all have different coloration.

Old 09-16-2005, 12:34 AM   #3

I am aware of that but, this fish was truly unique. I have been in the hobby for 10+ years and 1) have never seen a beauty 99% purple and 2) have never heard about the corals in the diet causing this, although I know they are notorius for nipping.

Inverts
Green & Red Musrooms, Pumping Xenia, Green Star Polyps, Green/Purple Ricordia, Orange Ricordia, Green Acro, Bubble Coral, Hammer Coral, Maxima Clam, Crocea Clam, peppermint shrimp, various snails and crabs.

Fish
Yellow Tang, Mated Perculas, Bicolor Blenny, Elaegant Wrasse, Possum Wrasse, Clown Goby, Purple Pseudochromis, Coral Beauty, Golden Angel
Old 09-16-2005, 08:45 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nutrition can cause coloration to become more vibrant, but it will not cause a fish to change color. As a side not..watch the angel very closely in a reef. You are taking a pretty big gamble.
Old 09-16-2005, 10:13 AM   #5

The angel is already part of the tank community, which is why the information concerning its color is a bit troubling. The tank is being given to me because the previous owner wants it to go to a good home but, I can't have the angel munching on my corals.

Inverts

Fish
Old 09-16-2005, 10:48 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I was just at a lfs today and they had a all black coral beauty. I wish I could have gotten him, but I already have one.
MAG-DRIVE 700 GPH
2x Maxi-Jet 1200 Power Head
PC Lighting
Remora pro skimmer
90 lbs LR
80 lbs of Carib Sea

Fish
Majestic Angel, Pink spotted gobie. Black percular clown, Coral Beauty, Lt. Tang, Mitratus B/F, Multicolor Dwarf Angelfish
sango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 11:53 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Konrade
as they get older their coloration has more orange and deeper colors...so i have read
Old 09-17-2005, 08:31 PM   #8
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

There is an all black drawf angel called a midnite angel. Looks like a coral beauty but solid black. But back to the problem you are taking a chance. I`ve made the vow no more angels for me. My keyhole almost did me in.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
color, coral, coral beauty

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com