Coral Beauty, Purple Firefish, or none?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

haus

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well, it's been almost a year, and besides a bout with cyno, I have had no problems. My current stocking list is in my sig and I want to add one more fish. I love the coral beauty, but I know that it may be pushing the stocking limits. My params are zeroed out and have been for a while. I also like the purple firefish, but I tend to lean towards the coral beauty because it is more visible. I am moving in the next few months, so I am waiting to make sure that the fish I already have make it through the stress of moving before I add anything else. Is it safe to add one of these fish in the future? I do have an empty 30 gal that will become a reef in the future and I plan on having a purple firefish in there, so that also makes me lean towards the angel. Also my wife likes urchins. Would it be safe to add an urchin also?

I don't think adding a coral beauty would be a problem. After that addition I would say your are at your max, but as long as you have a decent amount of LR you should be fine.

tripper

I have between 70 and 80 lbs of lr. The coral beauty is definitely the last fish I plan on adding to that tank. I also have some base rock lying around (about 10 lbs) I just haven't put it in the tank because I can't find the right place to make the aquascaping look right. Thanks!!!

How far are you moving? I just moved a couple of months ago and had to transfer everything over. After getting everything moved over, test the water for Ammonia. Mine was high even after moving it 5 miles away. It took some water changes to get it down, but you will have die-off in any case. From there, I would give it about a month to make sure everything is stable before adding another fish.

Just my .02 cents.

Mike

I'm moving about 7-10 miles. I'm just getting over anxious, but I was concerned that adding a coral beauty may exceed my bioload limits. As I said, it won't be until after I move and everything settles out. How did you move your fish? I was thinking in bags, but I am concerned about the time that they will be in them, I have to empty the tank, transport the tank, then set it up again. I don't see that process being any shorter than a few hours. Plus I see this move as an opportunity to change my cc bed to a DSB, which will take more time for the sand to settle. I have an empty 10 gal and a 30 gal that I may be able to put them in for a longer period of time, but a 30 gal tank, or even a 10 gal, is quite heavy when filled. Why can't things be easy :roll:

How did you move your fish?
I actually put each one in a bag and secured them in a box for transporting. The darker the better for them. They can survive for a while in a bag, especially if you have oxygen in it.
I have to empty the tank, transport the tank, then set it up again.
I decided to upgrade my tank to a 120 gal, so it was easier for me to transfer everything. It wil no doubt be several hours of work for you.
Plus I see this move as an opportunity to change my cc bed to a DSB
That would be a great opportunity. I would lay down the new DSB first, then add the existing on top. The problem is the CC has the necessary bacteria you need to avoid a major cycle. You don't have to add all of it, but you will need to add some of it.
Do you plan on keeping the water? Very helpful, but heavy.
Why can't things be easy
I agree..moving a FW tank is so much easier. Just remember to test your ammonia before putting the fish in there. HTH

Mike

Could the new sand be put some panty hose or some type of container and placed in the tank so it could be seeded before you move? Someone else help with this. Just a idea. Do not know if it will work.

That would most likely work since haus isn't moving for a few months. It would be better than transfering cc. I would like to hear others' opinions on this as well.

Mike

Do you plan on keeping the water? Very helpful, but heavy.
I do plan on keeping most of it. I figure if I take about 35-40 gal, it would just be like a water change.

Brenden-That's a great idea :D I never thought to seed the sand before moving. :roll:

They can survive for a while in a bag, especially if you have oxygen in it.
What is considered a while? 3-4 hrs? 24 hrs?

Also, when I get rid of the cc, will that deplete my pod population? I notice that there are a number of pods and bristleworms that live in the cc, and I don't want to get rid of a large number of them. Although I have a bi-color dottyback that has done some damage to the bristleworm population.

THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH!!! YOU GUYS ARE GREAT!!!!!! (y)

Typically, if you order a fish online they will provide oxygen in the bag which is good for 24-48 hours. Without oxygen, most likely 3-4 hours.

You will probably lose a good bit of pods, but they will come back once the tank is settled in.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom