Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-29-2005, 12:09 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

coral beauty reef safe or not?

I have heard and read all sorts of info on this. Are they reef safe or not? Is it hard to say? My LFS has one of these and a copperband butterfly in a reef tank. I can hardly believe it because I thought both were not reef safe. BTW, so far I only have a green leather, candy cane coral and a pumping xenia. TIA

Old 06-29-2005, 12:15 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

My coral beauty picks at the live rocks ALL DAY!! She is soooo fat. Not sure if it would eat corals, my guess is that if it picks at rocks at the lfs then it probably is not reef safe. Like I said, my guess, I could be wrong.

Old 06-29-2005, 12:23 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Coral beauties are reef safe with caution. Each fish is different. I've had one in my reef for years and she hasn't been a problem. I know others keep them as well. The copperband butterfly won't bother corals but is a threat to other invertibrates like featherdusters and small shrimp.
Old 06-29-2005, 12:29 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Gil....your coral beauty is beautiful! My wife wants one real bad, so I guess I could always try one. If it kills my corals I'm gonna be ticked though. Thanks for the input Fluff.
Old 06-29-2005, 12:33 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Nate
Gil....your coral beauty is beautiful!
Thanks Dr. Nate, when I saw it at the lfs my jaw dropped I just had to have it...
Old 06-29-2005, 02:33 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

LiveAquaria claims that they may nip at stoney and soft corals (well that just about covers the gammut, huh?) though something made me think that they were more a threat to stoney corals and clams... If that wasn't them I wonder what fish that was... Good luck. WIth a reef your size I wouldn't put a fish in there that I may want to get out some day. You could try it in a reef-like QT environment?

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 02:36 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have tried two coral beauties and one flame angel in my reef over the last couple of years. All seemed to love my corals. No more for me.
Old 06-29-2005, 04:46 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Lando and Phyl....

Good advice! Glad I haven't gotten one yet....and I was thinking also about a Flame Angel....not now! Lando, don't you have a copperband butterfly though?
Old 06-29-2005, 06:27 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Lando, don't you have a copperband butterfly though?
Yup. I have had no problems with this fish as far as corals go. It did, however, take care of all of my feather dusters that came in on my LR.

Tags
coral, coral beauty, reef, safe

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com