Coral Beauty w/Mouth Fungus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mcquillian

Aquarium Advice Regular
Any advice on how to treat? My parameters in my tank are all fine. I have put the fish in a QT tank. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Melafix is really messy. You have to turn off your Protein Skimmer yada yada yada . . . Thanks for the suggestion though . . .

I'm pretty sure you're going to have to do that with most medications. I do, however, have medication that REQUIRES a Protien Skimmer and IS reef safe, but I'm not sure of the name and I'm not sure if it's effective agaisnt mouth fungus. I'll let you know a little later.

Since you have it in a QT already I would use Maracyn II at double the dose daily for 7 days total. Fungus problems are usually not what they appear and commonly gram negative bacteria. Be sure it is not Lympho either (warty instead of cottony). There is no treament for that.

FWIW, had you left the fish in the main the other fish would not normally have been at risk. This can typically be fixed without any treatment. Increasing the frequency of water changes, boosting the foods nutrition and reducing stress will allow the fish's immune system to do the job.

Cheers
Steve

Steve,

The fungus is preventing him from eating. I will follow your advice and see how things go. Thanks.

Definately needs treatment then. If the Maracyn does not show signs of abating the problem within a few days then it's most likely Lympho. With it impeding proper feeding, I hope not.

Cheers
Steve

And yeah, mcquillian, I checked out that medication I have and it's just for parasites. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

No offence BDAWG but the only thing I would use Melafix for (if ever) would be to help preventing wounds from becoming a larger problem. It really isn't good for much else and has little or no affect on most parasites.

Cheers
Steve

At this point, nothing seems to be working, it's like my poor Coral Beauty has a big piece of white chalk in it's mouth. I might as well keep trying, as the fish will die from starvation unless I have some success . . .

As a last resort, have you tried to pysically remove it? One of my Heni's had a little growth on her mouth when I got here.
I was able to basically knock it off without much problem with my finger.
Not sure how bad it, but it might be worth a try if the Maracyn doesn't work.

If the Maracyn doesn't work then it's Lympho and you will need to remove it manually. Not something to look forward to for sure. I would give the Maracyn a day or so before you do anything drastic.

How long has it been this bad?

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom