Coral Choice Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CCXGT

Aquarium Advice Addict
So... Just been down to the LFS and had a look at their coral tank.

I'd like to run a few corals by you guys to see what you think.

First, the whole tank:

A few I've picked out:
A leather toadstool

Red mushrooms

Another toadstool

A plate

Feather duster (£17 for one)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Not sure what your asking TBH. The leathers look annoyed and will get to big for a 10, plates get big too and can inflate and move so they need a lot of space on the sand bed IMO (another thing not really available in a 10). The red and blue rhodactis looks nice

I was just wondering if the prices were ok, what might work in a nano, anything to look out for... Yknow just general stuff.

I guess I'll be less vague next time...

I think everything looks solid in the tank except that darker toadstool. Problem is, most of us are on the other side of the pond and the prices differ from different parts of our states, let alone all the way over there. There is a ton that comes into play there.

EDIT: I can't really tell you what would work well in your tank because we don't know anything about it, like the lighting most importantly.

The coolest thing to me is the feather dusters. I haven't seen colors like that before.

I think everything looks solid in the tank except that darker toadstool. Problem is, most of us are on the other side of the pond and the prices differ from different parts of our states, let alone all the way over there. There is a ton that comes into play there.

EDIT: I can't really tell you what would work well in your tank because we don't know anything about it, like the lighting most importantly.

The coolest thing to me is the feather dusters. I haven't seen colors like that before.

I have a 120w Full Spectrum LED Tile for light and a Koralia 425 for flow.

I think £1 = $1.50 these days.

Quite a few of the corals in there look browned out (no clue what the technical name for this is).

Especially some of the Zoa's and GSP's.

Those Dusters have been there for a couple years now... Never seen anyone buy them.

I've read that they're short-lived but I've no clue.

If they were in there for a couple of years, then they aren't short lived. Dusters are cool, I had some for awhile. I LOVED My coco worm before my work schedule screwed with my tank time and it died.
Besides that one leather, the rest of the tank looks fine. I'd get what they have labeled as a pineapple coral in a minute for my tank. Love brain corals.
The one mushroom you showed was really nice too.

If they were in there for a couple of years, then they aren't short lived. Dusters are cool, I had some for awhile. I LOVED My coco worm before my work schedule screwed with my tank time and it died.
Besides that one leather, the rest of the tank looks fine. I'd get what they have labeled as a pineapple coral in a minute for my tank. Love brain corals.
The one mushroom you showed was really nice too.

I think that 'Pineapple' says £23 ($32) there... Seems cheap for something that large.

That Yellow Leather looks good to me as well as the Mushrooms.

I asked the guy there if the numerous scattered heads of various corals were for sale.

He pointed out a single Mushroom head and labelled it £10.
Seems expensive when considering the bigger one.

It depends, that isn't a type I can get around me. And if they grow fast you can sell em to people around you or trade them to the store for credit towards other stuff. All in how you look at it.

It depends, that isn't a type I can get around me. And if they grow fast you can sell em to people around you or trade them to the store for credit towards other stuff. All in how you look at it.

Sorry are you talking about the Brain or the Mushroom?

I might hold off on any LPS for now till things get going smoothly.

I'm considering the Mushroom rock thing.

I'm talking about that cool mushroom. Mushrooms can take off like weeds over time. I have a million green hairy mushrooms behind my tank and other mushrooms are doing ok. They could easily be traded off.

Mushrooms grow easily and are easily removed if they grow too fast. Depending on the mushroom the price varies with red being the most common one here in the states. $5-10 per polyp isn't unusual.

The leathers are also suitable with good lighting. Again, they are easy to cut back it they get too big.

Feather dusters are a 50/50 proposition. I have had both good and bad luck with them. There are several fish that prey on them so be careful in that regard. Cheers mate.

Mushrooms grow easily and are easily removed if they grow too fast. Depending on the mushroom the price varies with red being the most common one here in the states. $5-10 per polyp isn't unusual.

The leathers are also suitable with good lighting. Again, they are easy to cut back it they get too big.

Feather dusters are a 50/50 proposition. I have had both good and bad luck with them. There are several fish that prey on them so be careful in that regard. Cheers mate.

Would I need to separate those two mushrooms?

I mean they seem to be getting along fine on that tiny piece there but could one eventually outgrow the other?

Mushrooms coexist just fine with each other. Add a small rock next to the populated one and they will usually grow right onto it.

Well.. I got the Shrooms.

They've been in for about 2 mins at this point.

I've decided not to split them.

There is a LOT of Red heads on this piece, growing all over, so I'm afraid a few have been sentenced to the sandbed.

The Red/Blue Rhodactis is pretty huge and I've got it facing upwards.

There is a second 'Rhodactis' looking head on it, it has different colouration but I'm not too sure yet.

Anyways... At the mo I've got the Powerhead on alone. When should I turn on the lights?

I just flicked the blues on to see what's what and this is what I was presented with:

THEY'RE GLOWY!!!

There is quite a lot going on on this rock but the camera picks up almost none of it.

I'll try for a better pic when they've all opened up and are doing fine.

Okay.. So I THINK there is maybe 4 different Mushrooms on this piece.

Yellow:

Red:

Red/Blue Rhodactis:

Red/Green Rhodactis?:

And this lil thing, not too sure:

Back
Top Bottom