Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-20-2005, 01:57 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to spongeynip
Coral Chosing Suggestions

Well hello again all, i know ive been asking for alot of coral help recently, and ive got a simpler question. I need as much input as possible so any would be helpful. I want to make an indo-pacific reef, and i have all the fish, but now i need to find some corals. I dont no which to buy (soooo many choices) so please tell me. I have a 29 gal if it makes ne difference. I have no $ restrictions, or fish restirctions.

thanx
-Trent

Old 02-20-2005, 03:38 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

there are several corals to choose from. My best recommendation is to get the book "Natural Reef Aquariums" by John Tullock. It actually has chapters broken down by region. There are two chapter on Indio-Pacific Reefs, one shallow water and one deep water.

Old 02-20-2005, 03:57 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Can't tell what kind of light output you have from your profile. Not to say that listing doesn't describe it to someone who might know that light. How many wpg is it.

I like Julian Sprung's coral book also. Tells ya what's difficult, easy, lighting, and flow needs.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 07:14 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

ill see if i can get my hands on that book, but my tank is 4 watts per gallon. Is that too low?
Old 02-21-2005, 09:21 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Check my profile for what I've been doing in a 75g with 3.4 something wpg. And I think I do easy stuff.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

Old 02-21-2005, 10:44 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

pumping xenia! yes, thats what i want, but its a struggle trying to find it where i live! Does it eat micro-invert food, or light? and do your O clowns host in it?

thanx
-Trent
Old 02-22-2005, 12:06 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Clowns don't host it. It spreads like crazy. In the 10 11 months I've had it, I've probably fragged 30 pcs by now. If you get some, situate it near the top - unless you want it to spread upwards very quickly and take over that section. Spreading sideways doesn't seem as overpowering as something reaching up to the light and covering everything in it its path.

I feed the standard DTs Phtoplankton and cyclopeeze weekly. Even before I started that, seemed as though my xenia feed of the the light. But AFAIK, the micro-invert food is good for it and other coral you'll likely get.

Tags
coral, suggestions

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com