Coral Considerations, and of course questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dansemacabre

Aquarium Advice Freak
What's up everyone? I've started looking at a few corals. They're still a month or so off, but I'm researching them now.

I think my 3 favorite (that are easy to care for...or so I'm lead to believe) are: Frogspawn-green (Euphyllia paradivisa), Torch Coral (Euphyllia glabrescens), and "Candy Cane" Coral (Caulastrea furcata).

I also like the Starburst Polyps (Pachyclavularia sp.), Pulsing Xenia (Xenia sp.), Short-Tentacled Plate Coral (Fungia repanda), and "Galaxia" coral.

I'm having trouble finding information on the Galaxia in particular. Anyways, here are my questions in general:
What, if anything, do you feel should be dosed to support the healthy existence of these corals?
Will these get along if given ample room between them? Should I not mix a certain few?
Any suggestions on the selection? Any experiences with any of these that you find particularly helpful?
Should I feed phytoplankton (for some of these, and for my inverts, while I'm asking).

Here are some galaxia-specific questions:
Desired water flow? Light level? Ease of maintenance? Location in tank? Recommended distance from other corals?

Sorry for all the questions. There're a lot of them I know, but I wanna do it right. So, I'm again asking for your help :)

Tank specs: (currectly) 2x250w 10,000K MH ... (will be 3x250wMH, and 4x96w PC 03)
125gal, 55gal sump, Berlin XL protein skimmer, I don't even know how many lbs. of LR ... over 200 for sure, DSB.

--Thanks!--

All the corals you list will get along great with eachother. YOu have a few agressive corals in there and a few non agressive ones. Keep the frogspawn, torch, and glaxia apart from eachother and try to keep the other corals several inches away from those. They will send out sweeper stinging tenticles to combat any coral that they feel is a threat to their turf.

WHen you put the plate coral in the tank make sure there is no air under the base and find a spot for it on the sand bed. The xenia will quickly start growing and reproducing. I like the green star plyps because they are a mating coral where they build a mat as they expand.

About the only thing you might want to do is start testing your calcium levels and dose calcium if you find normal water changes dont maintain adiquite calcium levels. (350-400ppm)

Thanks again for your great advice!
While I thought of it: How easy is it to "frag" the Xenia, Starburst, or any others for that matter. I know that time may be a long ways off, but better to learn now I think.

Any info on the Galaxia?
Thanks again fishfreek!

I have a galaxia and I'd recommend not including it in your tank. The sweeper tentacles they produce are extremely long in comparison w/ the size of the coral itself. The sweeper tentacles on the one I have are about 5-6 inches long and the coral is only about 4"x3"! They are very potent when they sting other corals. Although w/ a 125 I'm sure you have some extra space! I'd consider some colorful shrooms.

That is a great list! I am a fan of the candy-cane coral, also called a trumpet coral. Pretty hardy and cool looking. In the morning after the lights have been off for a few hours i take a flashlignt and shine it in the tank. My two candy canes have long clear sweeper tenicals that come out at night to capture food. Very cool to watch. Make sure you get a good quality food designed for filter feeders. I use DT's live food. It works great. Where are getting these, LFS or on-line order?

My LFS carries a new (Kent's?) Phytoplankton liquid. They also have a zooplankton liquid, and I've got sweetwater zooplankton in the blender mush.

-- Will Ricordia mushrooms eat filter-feed or solid matter they catch with sweepers?

Probably a combination of LFS and on-line. If I find healthy specimens of the ones I'm looking for (and I have found most of them stocked there) I will buy it from them...they're a good store and it'd be less stress on the coral. The others (like the candy cane) I will probably order online, either from fishsupply.com or liveaquaria.

Thanks for the tips. :)

I do not think that the liquid Kent's food is actually alive. That is why I use DT's. I think others here will back me up in saying it is the best filter feeder food you can get. I like to buy my corals from my LFS because I can observe it for a while and hand pick what I want. I have also used liveaquaria.com and they are very good. Wonderful customer service. If you go that route I would plan to order three or four corals at once. With a flat $25 shipping charge you will save a ton of dough over the LFS.

Back
Top Bottom