Coral Control

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ajacinth

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
The pulsing Xenia I have keep splitting. I usually can place a rock next to them while they do to get them to attach. I can then remove the frag, which I usually give the fish store for some of credit.

However I'm at a point where its getting a bit out of control. The image below show some of them starting to attach to the glass. Is this ok, and if so will they be easy to scrape off, and them maybe glued to create another frag.

Any other advise on coral control would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Attachments

• coral_control.jpg
    coral_control.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 97
I wish I had a way of controlling it myself. I used an algae scraper to scrape mine off the glass. I was one of the kent metal blades. It was blunt enough not to cut the xenya but scraped it off very easy. If you don't mind it being on the glass, it's fine. I scraped mine because it was on the front glass. I also have it growing on my skimmer pump. It will attach to whatever it's on or near. lol

I used to love it when it attached to the glass. Made it easier to remove :) I would get some square razor blades if you don't already have some. They will slide uder the stalk without hurting it.

I have been having some of the same issues with zoos and GSP. I have rocks that are covered and the have no where else to go. I took a hammer and chisle to a huge GSP rock because they will kill anything in its path. I have a zoo and a green button that share a rock and I for see them battling out at some point.

How do those with older tanks deal with this? I can see myself just yanking rocks out and replacing with other rock to control things :)

Yeah, if you look in the background of the pic above, you can see some of my zoos spreading and touching the feather. fortunately is not stinging it, but I'm not sure how long the feather will be able to co-exist. I'm afraid of moving it cause I think its pretty will attached.

I guess the lesson here is leave room for growth for where ever you place corals.

Xenia is nice but can be a pest coral, the key is to keep it off the main section of LR in the tank. Growing on the glass is a good thing and easy to get ride of. You got to love it when your tank starts to make you money...
I have a kenya tree forest that I cut down a few months ago and traded it in for some NICE$$$ at the LFS... Bought my new Sen 900 pump and some other goodies with them..
Shroons are easy to cut off LR but zoos if they take over a piece of LR the best thing is to trade for a new coral or get store credit.

Back
Top Bottom