Coral dieing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, i changed the water, 15g in the last 2 days. It is 28 gallons, so yeah. I am going to mix the reef crystal salt for the first time tomorrow. I bought a 10g pale from Lowes, and drilled a hole in the top for an air pump. Is it as easy as one cup per gallon?

No, its a half cup per gallon the recommendation gets you close to 1.022 or so usually takes about a 1/4 cup extra to get 1.026. Add salt mix test and add more if needed

Schism said:
No, its a half cup per gallon the recommendation gets you close to 1.022 or so usually takes about a 1/4 cup extra to get 1.026. Add salt mix test and add more if needed

Gotcha, thanks, I'll make sure I don't mess this up, salt is expensive after all.

I wouldn't use ANY of that kent additive. Just do your water changes. Don't add anything. You can have an awesome reef with just weekly water change to replace trace elements.

mr_X said:
I wouldn't use ANY of that kent additive. Just do your water changes. Don't add anything. You can have an awesome reef with just weekly water change to replace trace elements.

Thanks mr X! I'll bring it back to the store. I did a 15 gallon water change and the corals seem to be out a little more today.

SWSCJ said:
Mr x is right with water changes. My trace elements get replenished using Brightwell salt.

I bought reef crystals, this will do the same thing or did I make another bad purchase, lol

Brightwell is my preference. I used reef crystals when I had fowlr. When I got more into corals....HUGE difference. Again, my preference.

The only thing I find I have to add is alk, mag and cal don't seem to fluctuate, but my tank uses up 1 dkh of alk per day, I'd be in a right pickle if I didn't buffer it up.

Leighton79 said:
The only thing I find I have to add is alk, mag and cal don't seem to fluctuate, but my tank uses up 1 dkh of alk per day, I'd be in a right pickle if I didn't buffer it up.

Yeah, see I bought this to up my alk because I was told it was low, then with one half dose, I was WAY over. That's when I realized, 4 frags are probably not going to deplete it a whole lot. They told me it would help control the alk.

Ok guys and gals, thank you for your help, the corals are looking much better! One more question. Do you think the galixia will repopulate the dead head?

Do not worry about the alkalinity, if you have ph 8.2 you can not bring the alkalinity down because it is impossible to bring the alkalinity down and ph stays the same by any laws of the chemistry. Thay are connected. You have Ph sortain level because of the alkalinity. If you change the alkalinity you chnge the ph. At times because of the buffer keeps the ph in a sertain lever the mesuring equipment we use doesnt mesure the proper allalinity because of the buffer we add comes with other ions that do not let the Ethylene glycol we add to measure it right. One of the buffer i know that does that is Reef Buffer. Better check the phosphates because if they are high brings a problem with the calcification of some corals scaled . Good luck.

Great advice. As mentioned PWC`s is all you need. That`s all I have been doing for 14 years now. You`ll get everything you need by doing them.

Only ever dosed my tank for ph once and had the same results. PWC with reef crystals has kept my tank going strong. There is no reason to dose unless you have a tank literally overloaded with corals.

Back
Top Bottom