Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-20-2013, 09:11 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok, where do I start lol. My pics look very green mostly due to the iphone.I do have some green growing on the tops of rocks but so far the lawnmower blenny has kept everything in check. He never stops. I checked kh again and 90 is the number I get. I believe it is a hagen test kit. States 80-105 is a good reading. No idea how this relates to dkh. I have to heaters, one in each corner and my temp does fluctuate between 78-82 depending whether or not I have the A/C on in the house. I would like to have it more stable but a chiller is out of the budget right now. Not sure how many watts the heaters are but they have no problem when needed. Water top off is done with straight ro/di and I pour it in slowly and in small amounts. I have ordered an rp3 wet dry filter system as it is the closest thing to a sump I can fit in the small space my stand allows. Have read lots of good reviews and some really bad as well. Plan to replace the bio balls with rock and go from there. The kh reading is really confusing me as according to my test kit it says it is good yet according to Daniel when converted to dkh (I don't even know what this is) it is too low and likely a problem. I am planning on possible adding a phosphate reactor as well to curb any algae but am hesitant based on my lawnmower blenny. Thanks for everyones help.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:53 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Different kits use different reading types mine use dkh and

Old 06-20-2013, 09:59 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Since snails and corals don't survive, I would suspect the previous owner have used copper for fish treatment. Check copper level and go from there.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:02 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

... Cont ...and mequ/l and ppmCaCO3 which 90 reads about 4.9. I'm not familiar with the Hagans kit I just seen 90 and looked it up online and in my kit which is a seanalysis. Maybe someone with exp. with the hagan will chime in. My acans were melting and I couldn't figure out why my lfs tested my alk 5.4 and that was it. Of course I bought my own test kit that day.my temp swings 78-84 and I top off with rodi every day after work 1/2 gal all at once no problems there.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:04 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffaquarius View Post
Since snails and corals don't survive, I would suspect the previous owner have used copper for fish treatment. Check copper level and go from there.
Agreed since it was a fowlr copper or alk hopefully it's the alk easier to solve.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:30 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Alk test is up there in age a bit. Will get a new one and retest tomorrow or Saturday. Will post new results. Till then any other ideas greatly appreciated. Will pick up a copper test as well. Does anyone have experience with the 18000k bulbs. They were recommended by the guy at the fish store and can't say I am too fond of the color. Any opinions on their effectiveness or are they potentially a problem?
Old 06-21-2013, 12:36 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
The lamps shouldn't be a problem. Do you have all 18k lamps, or do you have a variety? I would mix it up a bit withe the lamps. Did you get the live rock from the guy who sold you the tank? Do you see any bristle worms or pods in it at any time?
Old 06-21-2013, 12:40 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

It has to be medicated with copper. Get a copper test. Once in your live rock - inverts and corals cannot handle it. Easy fiber expensive fix is replacing live rock.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:43 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

Three 18k. Two blues. One supposed to be a purple but u would never know it. Live rock did come with the tank. He had the tank for 13 years. One bristle worm when moving it and none since. I've looked at night for worms and no sign of any of them or pods.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:43 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yikes. I don't even want to think about getting all new rock.

Tags
coral, dying, missing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com