Coral eater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Regan_tyler

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay so I woke up this morning an my radios dragon eye and Duncan are gone my livestock is emerald crab turbo snails 4damsels a yellow tang, neon dotty back, maroon an common clown fish, 2 fire fish and a cleaner shrimp. Who could be eating them?

None of them seem like they would do that but you just never know. I had a friend that one day saw her tang eating her corals which is very rare but like I said you will never know until you see it your self. It could be a hitchhiker.

More interesting is the fact that both polyps and an LPS were consumed. The more common hitchhikers that eat coral are pretty specific in their feeding habits. How were they looking in the days prior?

They where doing great I had the zoas on a plug an today they where completely gone this morning and my Duncan was just tore up. I think it might be my emerald crab or cleaners shrimp cause it's happening at night when all the lights are off.

Well, all crabs are opportunistic eaters and is a possibility...in terms of the cleaner shrimp, they would only eat it if it was dead/dying to do their job, clean it up.

Well I know my cleaner shrimp was picking at my Duncan awhile ago cause I usually feed my corals before the light ten off and I walked down and he was all over that Duncan like had it open and took the food out. In probably just gonna take them both out it just stinks that I lost those two corals

What are your parameters in the tank? A cleaner shrimp stealing food from a coral is pretty common behavior TBH, and you haven't mentioned any coral that requires feeding. Usually feeding corals lead to nutrient issues in tanks so I would be more likely to believe that this was a slow die off rather than an overnight vanishing.

It doesn't look dead it's just took a beaten I mean I have tons of coral in the tanand my perimeters are good but I ended up finding one of my zoas I think the crab might have popped it off but I'm thinking amour turning my middle stage into a refugium but I'm something might overcome the wall an get sucked up in my return line. I just got a bucket in the sump with some live rock for extra filtration but what would be the possibilities if I just took the rock out an in the middle section and there's the plug that the zoas got popped off from.

Attachments

• image-2818871543.jpg
    image-2818871543.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 80
  • image-1622680945.jpg
    image-1622680945.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 82
  • image-1357796215.jpg
    image-1357796215.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 83
What does your parameters look "good" mean? It can be different depending who you ask.
In terms of your coral, I don't see anything really bad...duncan retract like that when bothered or stressed but come back out once things are back to normal. In terms of your zoas, I just don't see anything wrong. I've had zoas detatch from the larger colony and float and start another colony on the other side of the tank. This is without assistance from anything living in the tank.

Nitrates are 0 nitrites are 0 ammonia I'm not sure phosphates not sure calcium is 450ppm carbonate hardness 161.1

I also had a question about LEDs I want to do a DIY led fixture for a frag tank but do the LEDs have to be a certain type of led?

And magnesium I'm not sure I love in Alaska so those test are pretty hard to get ahold of.

Back
Top Bottom