Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-30-2011, 05:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
Coral farm

I wanted to start a coral farm both as a hobby and making some money! Just looking for info any would be apprecieated

55 gal. FW chiclid
10 gal. FW feeder breeder
medic747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 05:10 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
I would imagine any start up costs would be enormous and a power outtage disastrous. I think you might want to practice with a reef tank first lol.

Crepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 05:46 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Most coral farms that I have seen are done outside. So location is everything
Sqasnatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:09 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Ever hard a reef tank?
Old Chinese proverb:
Don't go to bed with ichy bum
wake up with smelly finger!!
David S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 04:10 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Were you looking to run it out of your basement? I would advise against it, just because if you do have a power outage in winter, especially in MI, your tank temp will drop a lot faster than other areas such as SW, USA where average temperatures stay more consistant.

Even if you do manage to have a successful farm operating, you have to look at your market if you decide to sell. Most people will have more success selling to locals and not having to worry about the price and care of overnight shipping. You may want to figure out if there is a high enough demand for coral frags before spending thousands of $ in start up costs.

Best thing to do is to start a medium reef tank (55-90 gallon) and see how it goes first. If you're still adamant about the coral farm, and a you've had a successful reef up for over a year, you could definitely give it a shot. I just recommend baby steps because it will take you a while to learn just enough information to keep a steady tank, trust me, I'm still learning for my FOWLR setup now.

uscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com