Coral Feeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thedukeman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I have had a problem with my finger leather for about a month now and I'm starting to think there is something else I can do.
It all started with a pod of some sort eating the flesh of my coral. Finally I handled it, found and got rid of it. I thought it was on it's way to recovery and then it started to shrink again.
Do they need suplemental feeding?
What kind of food and how often?
I'm adding iodine once a week but it doesnt' seem to be working.
Thanks,
Jason

It might be the iodine if you arent testing for it. If iodine isnt tested for, it can do seriouse damage to corals... Iodine is very toxic.

I guess i should have bought a iodine test kit before i bought and added the iodine!
I just went to the LFS and bought a bottle of Kent ChromaPlex. To see if that will work. Everthing else seems to be fine except the leather?
Thanks,
Jason

Is it getting some current on it. I dont mean blasting it either. Mine picked up pretty good with some moderate current on it. Also make sure your light is good.

my understanding is that iodine is a very tricky additive to dose. there is not an accurate test kit for saltwater use. i have found all my leather coral to be very touchy on placement ,and some take a while to grow or even show that they are alive. if the leather was happy where it was before and nothing has changed it might just take a while to recover. i think something like kent coral accel would help it heal and protect against infection. if a chunk is starting to decay away, you may want to cut that piece off to stop it from spreading

good luck
steve r

Back
Top Bottom