Coral Flow Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

usmcmarc

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Can a Folded Brain/Crater Coral (Trachyphyllia geoffroyi) get too much flow?
In the spot I have it on the bottom, it gets a constant left to right medim/high to high current.

Strong enough to make bits of sand on the bottom move around.

IMO, that is too much flow. Most corals, especially substrate dwellers, require moderate flow. If sand is being disturbed, then it could get into the coral's flesh and irritate it. any flow that causes sand to be disturbed is a bit too "directional". Try a diffuser of some type.

I agree with brian that if sand is being blown around then nothing irritates a brain coral more than sand on it`s flesh. Too much flow.

:lol:

In your "sick coral" thread, a couple minutes ago I suggested you consider moving it onto the sand because it looked like it was on your rocks! Did you "correct the problem" by moving it up onto the rocks?

They really want to be on the sand, but as mentioned by others here, having sand blown onto them will cause them to spend a lot of energy getting rid of all that debris. Maybe that's what the guy's problem has been all along?

You'll probably be better off changing your flow pattern around, or finding another spot in the sand that has less flow. I've had to do both of these things once I got an open brain like that.

I moved the sick one to a different spot on the rocks. Like I said in the other thread...I made sure it had plenty of room so it wont rub anything. Wanted to see if that helped.

I obtained another Open Brain (Purple & Green). So I put it in the spot the other one was in, and then thought maybe the flow was too much. So I posted a thread to ask.

For this one, I changed the flow pattern AND kicked it down a bit.

Back
Top Bottom