coral frags

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

queenb

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is it safe to get frags of kijiji or cregs list?

All depends on the reputation of the seller. How would we even know? I know some people that advertise their frags on criagslist. It's a great way to advertise locally. Still, not everyone is reliable so just be very careful. Personally, i never will buy off of sites like those. I will just stick to friends in the trade or reefers that ship with great reputation and feedback.

You get frags with tons of pests and nuisance algae. The pests could spread... destroying everything you previously had before the new frags... including those too. Even if the seller doesn't know it... He/She could be spreading it.

Also.. their prices are too high. Lots of people charge ridiculous prices for small frags of things you could get for MUCH cheaper on any other site or from a fellow reefer.

I bought a piece of LR for $35 on CL and it was about 10-12lb, already cured. I just couldn't pass it up so I went to his house and we ended up talking for 30min about his 100 gallon setup, I learned a whole lot. I'm sure most people put high prices because buyers on CL will try to low-ball (ie: list price for coral frag is $40 and they show up with only $20)

Having to trust a total stranger to not get all "Buffalo Bill" on you is just not a settling feeling.

just make sure you quarantine any new arrivals. you can find some great deals on CL if you know your corals.

queenb said:
what could go wrong?

Lol, famous last words.

Red bugs, flat worms, fire worms, bacteria, algae, and a host of other pests that I don't know about yet. Coral dip, coral RX, FW dip. Mostly the only things I see fall off are pods and briste stars. I worry more about stores that take trade ins more than people with frag tanks

Back
Top Bottom