coral growth??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

catmel

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I know things take time, and I'm fine with that :) Just wondering since I've heard mushrooms and green star polyps grow / spread very 'quickly' - how long until you typically see them spread?

I'm just wondering if everything is right in my tank. I'm about due to replace my lights, I got them used after 2 months and i've had them on for about 4 months now- 2 x 96 watt PC 10k 50/50 actinic / white. My polyps seem happy, expanded / lots of color.. but I figured i'd see some more growth or 'spreading' after 4 months.

I am having a small amount of hair algae, it grows but I can keep it under control.

Just curious :)

water parameters:
Calcium ~420-440
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 10-20 ppm ( trying to lower this.. would this affect it?)
Salinty 1.022-1.023
PH about 8.4 roughly
carbonate hardness ~ 140 ( api test kit)
temp 78 degrees

Your readings look good..SG could be raised a bit I keep mine at 1.025 and things grow nicely. They will start to grow the moment you stop looking at them 24/7....;)

Melinda I have had my lighting system for about the same time as you and I haven't seen any spread yet from my Mushrooms... Well just starting to see a couple buds but haven't bloomed just yet... Some of these corals take time once they start growing they won't stop.

Agree that your salinity could use bumping up. 1.025 or so would be better for reef. If you decide to bump it up, just make sure to do it slowly... like over a month or so.

Nitrates are kinda high, but I've been blessed with near zero nitrates since I started, so I can't say how high is too high. I just know that with everything I've read, any detectable nitrates are really not desirable compared to the ocean. If you can measure ANY nitrates in your tank, then you're already 10x higher than what is normal in the ocean.

Have your mushrooms started moving yet? They spread by moving, and leaving little bits of tissue along their "trail" that will eventually sprout new mushrooms. I can't remember how long it took mine to move, but as someone mentioned, when you least expect it, it'll happen. And then you'll wish they didn't multiply. I had to kill off a couple last week that were making direct contact with my platygyra and starting to cause it to recede a little. They get in nooks and crannies and make it impossible to "relocate" them.

All your other water parameters look fine. I'd just say it's "watched pot" syndrome. Kinda like coralline algae... it take forever to get a foot hold, but then it kicks in and goes wild.

Ahh might be my problem. I am constantly going over everything about the tank. That is how you get to know it and its demands. I think raising the SG will help with growth on everything.

I know my mushrooms spread like wildfire. I would say they double in about 6 months time. I sell alot of mine to my LFS. They`ll be growing before you know it. What kind of mushrooms do you have?

I'll try upping my SG and see if that helps. I use a HOB filter as well as a skimmer, so maybe just need to change those more often. I think my PWC schedule is good (about 20% - 10 gallons every week to every two weeks..), and I use an Ro/DI so I cant guess from where else those nitrates are coming from.. I try to feed every other day.

I have watermellon mushrooms + green star polyps

nitrates come from just being a semi-established tank.. if you dont have a lot of algea to keep it in check then you will have some.. if you live nearby ill send you some of my macroalgea.. you want to keep them at 0... this stuff is the way to go lol

nitrates come from just being a semi-established tank.. if you dont have a lot of algea to keep it in check then you will have some.. if you live nearby ill send you some of my macroalgea.. you want to keep them at 0... this stuff is the way to go lol

I've got a lot of coraline starting to grow - although only some is purple right now. I do have a bit of hair algae, too. Thanks for the offer, but i live in Ohio! I'd love some, but if its too much hassle, dont worry about it. Thanks though. I'll try upping the SG ( maybe not enough trace minerals?) and i'll change my lights here in a month or two and see if that helps.

Are the 50/50 white / blue actinic the best for coral growth? 10k rating I believe. Its part of the coralife aqualight pro.

Back
Top Bottom