Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-24-2009, 12:51 AM   #1
Sliced Bread

Coral Growth

Question time, I hope I'm able to explain this well enough to make sense.

This is in reference to my acros, sps, etc. I have quite a few, and most of them are growing what I think is pretty well. All of the new growth, however, starts out white, and then eventually gets some color to it. I know the color varies somewhat based on lighting, so that's not the question.

Is this normal? Or is something lacking in my tank?

The reason I ask is this:
The frags I buy from LFS, online, etc, never look like this. They're typically completely colored up all the way to the tip, no matter how large or small the frag. How is this possible IF this white is normal?

This leads me to believe that 1) either something's wrong in my tank, or 2) I'm the only person in the world to be able to grow Acros. lol

I know you want to know water parameters. I won't give specific numbers, as most are in check, but my Alk is a little low around 8, and my Ca is down around 360 at the end of the week. I haven't checked mag in a while, but it was 1320 at last test. I do a 25% PWC every week and am using reef crystals

I'm currently in debate mode over starting 2-part, so I'm curious to see if the Alk/Ca/Mag levels have something to do with this or not.

Here's a pic of an ORA red planet. See the large amounts of white? When I got it, it was red/green all the way to the tip.

Old 05-24-2009, 01:02 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to Tank2379 Send a message via Yahoo to Tank2379
From what I see it's New Growth as for coloration. It depends on what Type of Supplements some vendor are using to have there Coral Stay colored through out there growth span. I heard of the Zeolite Method where it keeps your corals popping all the time throughout there growth span. But that's a long process to accomplish. My Acro is growing the same way all white but little to no color... I also to would like to know if there is another way to keep them colored up while they are growing...

Tank2379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 01:03 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's an obvious scream for help. If you have a shred of decency, you will remove these poor specimens and send them to somebody that can provide the proper environment. I happen to have just such a facility. Pm me and I will provide an address.....
Old 05-24-2009, 01:04 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to Tank2379 Send a message via Yahoo to Tank2379
Quote:
Originally Posted by SparKy697 View Post
It's an obvious scream for help. If you have a shred of decency, you will remove these poor specimens and send them to somebody that can provide the proper environment. I happen to have just such a facility. Pm me and I will provide an address.....
Are you Serious?
Tank2379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 01:11 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes, and the same offer is extended to you.
Old 05-24-2009, 01:18 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

White tips for new growth is pretty normal from my experience. Why you don't see it at the LFS... I don't know. Perhaps it just isn't growing that well at the LFS because of the transit stress and less than favorable water parameters, and they start growing better/faster when they hit our tanks? Just a thought.
Old 05-24-2009, 06:44 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilanh View Post
Question time, I hope I'm able to explain this well enough to make sense.

This is in reference to my acros, sps, etc. I have quite a few, and most of them are growing what I think is pretty well. All of the new growth, however, starts out white, and then eventually gets some color to it. I know the color varies somewhat based on lighting, so that's not the question.

Is this normal? Or is something lacking in my tank?

The reason I ask is this:
The frags I buy from LFS, online, etc, never look like this. They're typically completely colored up all the way to the tip, no matter how large or small the frag. How is this possible IF this white is normal?

This leads me to believe that 1) either something's wrong in my tank, or 2) I'm the only person in the world to be able to grow Acros. lol

I know you want to know water parameters. I won't give specific numbers, as most are in check, but my Alk is a little low around 8, and my Ca is down around 360 at the end of the week. I haven't checked mag in a while, but it was 1320 at last test. I do a 25% PWC every week and am using reef crystals

I'm currently in debate mode over starting 2-part, so I'm curious to see if the Alk/Ca/Mag levels have something to do with this or not.

Here's a pic of an ORA red planet. See the large amounts of white? When I got it, it was red/green all the way to the tip.
My ORA Red Planet does the exact same thing. This is for sure perfectly normal. Nice frag by the way, so far you are holding the green. Mine has pretty much lost all of its green, but it is looking pretty red and starting to table nicely.
Old 05-24-2009, 12:59 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok, so they grow this way. Then what is it that happens during the transit and display tanks at the lfs that makes them color up all the way to the tips? It's true that you do not usually see that kind of white tip growth in the corals that are at the lfs.
Old 05-24-2009, 02:04 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparKy697 View Post
Ok, so they grow this way. Then what is it that happens during the transit and display tanks at the lfs that makes them color up all the way to the tips? It's true that you do not usually see that kind of white tip growth in the corals that are at the lfs.
I haven't seen a Red Planet last long enough at an LFS to develop growth. This is my only coral that grows white tips first, which is the same coral in the picture.
Old 05-24-2009, 02:19 PM   #10
Sliced Bread

So, let's assume an LFS decides to stock a Red Planet (or any acro really). They place an order, and the frag is delivered. All colored up.

Why wouldn't the farms, especially farms that are aquaculturing corals, have significant signs of growth on them when delivered to the LFS or whoever orders them? Isn't that what farms do, grow corals to sell? If this is in fact normal, I would expect that that every frag Ive ever seen at an LFS that came from a farm to look like this, no?

Tags
coral, growth

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com